Chapter 13 - Cinderella Moments

Chapter 13

Berkley stood in her room in front of a floor length mirror looking at the elegant woman staring back at her.  If not for her emerald eyes shining back she would barely recognize herself.  She was completely transformed into the classy woman that was expected to be by Dane’s side.  The dress was amazing even if Dane did pick it out.  She had agreed to let him choose since he was buying but with the condition that he buy a dress from the sale rack.  He frowned but agreed and when she tried it on he was sold on it.  It was an exquisite shade of wisteria, sleeveless and with a lace overlay with a tonal lining that matched her skin perfectly.  It hugged her curves and fitted her form down to her knees before spreading into a trumpet skirt.  Dane sent Beth on an errand last week to pick up a pair shoes as well.  Berkley was overwhelmed when Dane came home with a beautiful pair of Armani stilettos.  Her feet sparkled and gave balance to all the diamonds around her neck.  She fidgeted with the diamonds shrouding her chest nervously and hoped that she could do this without disappointing him.

Ethan came running from across the hall giggling profusely with Dane hot on his heels.  “He won’t let me put his bow tie on.”  Dane said looking like he belonged on the cover of GQ.  He stopped dead in his tracks with eyes blazing as they ran up and down the length of Berkley’s dress.

“Dane, it’s not like you weren’t with me when I tried this on.  You have seen it before.”

“It’s just that you look amazing.”  He walked over to her and slid his hand behind her head and pulled her to him.  He leaned in to kiss her and barely grazed her lips with his before she placed her hand on his chest and pushed him away.  He looked confused as she stepped back.

“Dane, did you forget someone?”  She said looking down between them at Ethan.

“He doesn’t pay attention to stuff like that.  He is too young to think anything of it.”

Grace climbed the stairs and stood in the doorway.  “Ethan did I hear your daddy say that you were not cooperating?”  She smiled.

“He doesn’t want to wear the tie.”  Dane said turning to face her.

Grace looked up at Berkley and Dane standing side by side.  “You two look like you belong on top of a wedding cake.”

“Grace you’re hopeless.”  Berkley smiled. 

“You both look perfect and make such a lovely pair.  It’s just an honest observation.”  She said winking.

“Daddy tried to kiss Berky.”  Ethan said while Grace was attaching his bow tie.

“I should pack a bag for Ethan.”  Berkley said making her way to the door.

Dane looked surprised by her response but shrugged it off and Grace smiled at him with more than her usual twinkle in her eyes.

“I’ve got you covered.”  Grace said before turning back to Ethan.  “Okay, Ethan you’re all ready to go now.”  Grace gave him hug.  “You be a good boy tonight.”

“I will.”  He smiled.

“That goes for you too Dane.  I want to hear all about how wonderful it is from Berkley come Monday!”

“Scouts honor.”  He smiled.

“You were a boy scout?”  Berkley asked thinking how cute he must have looked in uniform.

“No, that would have been Dylan.  Dane has never been one to follow directions.”  Grace said.

“Well before Grace says something to embarrass me I think we should go.”