Chapter 4 - The Move

Berkley pretended to still be asleep when BJ kissed her shoulder.  He slid his fingers around her arm and pulled her back slightly turning her onto her back.  He nuzzled his face into her neck and inhaled deeply.  “Sweet dreams babe.  I love you.”  He kissed her neck and then slid out of the bed.

Berkley rolled back onto her side realizing just how sore she actually was this morning.  She tugged the comforter up around her neck and curled into the coziness of its warmth.  BJ stumbled across the room and cursed as he stubbed his toe on the dresser.  She waited until she heard the shower running before sitting up.  She was going move too slowly today thanks to his abuse.  She winced from the pain in her ribs as she got to feet.  She tiptoed down the hall into the kitchen.  She poured a glass of orange juice and opened the cabinet searching for her bottle of ibuprofen.  She wanted to crawl back into bed before BJ discovered she was awake.  He seemed to be fine this morning but she was in no shape for another confrontation.

“Babe...”  BJ called from the hall.  He was out of the shower quicker than she expected.  When she didn’t answer he called again this time his voice filled with uncertainty and his footsteps quickened as he ran down the stairs skipping every other one.  He stopped in the kitchen door with his towel wrapped around his waist but still dripping wet from his shower.  “I thought you left.”  He said sounding relieved.

Berkley had looked away when he entered the room trying to hide her face.  She opened the fridge and returned the orange juice.  When she closed the door he was standing beside her.  He brushed her hair away from her cheek and slid his fingers beneath her chin lifting her face.  He gasped and stepped back to look at her thoroughly.  He slid his hands to the hem of her shirt and lifted it to inspect the bruises on her stomach that wrapped around her ribs and even to her back.  “Can you forgive me?”  The improbability weighed heavy in his voice.

Berkley pulled away from him and walked to the sink to pour the rest of her juice down the drain.  “I don’t know.”

BJ walked over to her and began kissing her softly as if begging and pleading for the forgiveness that he sought.  When Berkley pushed him away it made him furious.  He knew she wasn’t going to forgive him this time.  He also knew by the fear in those beautiful green eyes that she didn’t realize his fury wasn’t directed towards her but rather at himself.  He knew he was going to lose her this time.

Berkley trembled as terror ripped through her body.  Could she survive his rage this morning?  She was so close to ending this.  He moved his hand towards her face and when she cowed down defensively she looked into his tear filled eyes.  He softly brushed her hair to the side and kissed her.  “I never intended for this to happen.  I swear I will never hurt you again.”  He turned and walked away.

Berkley gave BJ time to leave and even waited an hour to make sure he wouldn’t return before she started packing.  She couldn’t carry everything and no more than she had, she still needed a car.  She looked in her purse and pulled out Dane’s card.  His office number was on there too so she called the main line.  She felt Alana would be the appropriate choice considering the circumstances.

“Alana is working off site today but checking her voicemail.  Would you like to leave a message?”

“Yes please.”  Berkley waited for the greeting and then left a message.  “Alana, I apologize for the imposition but I have been involved in an accident.  Dane wanted to meet with me at lunch to go over the financial details of our arrangement but I’m pretty banged up.  I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to show up like this.  I have my things packed up and wondered if the offer to help me move still stands?  I don’t have much, if you know someone with a pick up truck, that would even work.  Please call me back and let me know because I need to be out of my apartment by midafternoon.”