Chapter 7 - A Day On The Water

Looking forward to a much needed three day weekend, Dane rolled out of bed at seven and stretched with a loud growl.  He could smell fresh coffee and his thoughts went immediately to Grace.  She was too good to him.  Although she wasn't here to see him off, she had set the timer on the coffee pot, knowing that he would forget.

He slid into his pajama pants and went down the hall to get Ethan.  Berkley must have overslept because there were no sounds coming from behind her door.  Dane roused Ethan and his bright blue eyes opened lazily until, he saw Dane.  He reached up and wrapped his arms around Danes neck and like a little monkey, held on tight.  Dane tapped lightly on Berkley's door as he came back by.  There was no response.  He turned the knob and cracked it open just enough.  Yep she has overslept alright.  She was face down on her stomach with her head hidden beneath the pillows.

"You want to go tickle Berkley?"  He whispered.

"Yeah, tid-dul Berky."  Ethan giggled as Dane quieted him.

Dane sat him down and sent him on his way to wake her then closed the door quietly behind him.  He listened to the sounds of Berkley and Ethan giggling as he descended the stairs with a content smile on his face.  Ethan was different than before.  Berkley was good for him.  He hoped that today's outing would be good for them all.

...

The sky was bright blue without a single cloud in sight.  Dane complained to Berkley about the bag on his shoulder.  Not so much that it was heavy, but that the blue and brown polka dotted fabric with the big scrolled 'E' was too feminine for a guy to carry.  Berkley had insisted that Ethan have two changes of clothes, at least half a dozen pull-ups just in case, too many toys for one child and the kitchen sink at his disposal.  Dane had his camera bag on the opposite shoulder and still managed to maneuver the rolling cooler over the weathered boards that lead to the boat.  He felt like a pack mule and had no doubt that he looked like one.  Berkley had Ethan on one hip and her own bag of necessities on her shoulder.  Dane thought it was ridiculous to have so much for a simple day on the boat.  He chose to wear his trunks from the word go and threw on a t-shirt, only because he needed to stop for gas on the way.

The smell of the salty air filled his lungs as he took in a big deep breath.  Berkley doubted that he realized, that he had stopped for a moment, as he closed his eyes to breathe in the great outdoors.  He looked different this morning.  Perhaps it was the simple fact that he was skipping out on work but it seemed to go deeper.

She watched as he loaded all their things on the boat.  His lithe movements reaffirming that he was very comfortable on the water just as Grace has said.  His body didn't teeter and tilt clumsily like Berkley's but swayed sinuously with the movement of the waves as they made their way across the water. 

They reached a small island off the coast that had been registered as a wild life preserve probably because the rocky surface didn't appeal to the tourist industry.  The crescent shape of the island still offered up calm waters and Dane chose this as their spot for today.

Berkley had been worried that Dane planned this trip for all the wrong reasons, especially after the stunt he pulled in the hall.  She should never have left her room wearing so little knowing he was so easily distracted by women and she took partial responsibility for what happened.  He had pressed his body against hers leaving no room for doubt.  There was no mistaking his intentions if she would have given him the opportunity.  She had been tempted.  He was a temptation in and of himself and if he set his sights on her again she would be in danger of losing more than just her resolve.  'Mama Knight' would be furious with her and Grace would sense a change in her.  She would lose Ethan and she had grown to love the little rascal.