Chapter 20 - Blake In Shining Armor

Thanks to everyone for reading and voting!  I had over 1200 READS today!  Also I dedicated this chapter to Gentry 23.  

Blake's picture on the side.

I wrote most of this chapter while listening to the song linked on the side.  I apologize that it isn't the official video.  I couldn't find it.  But the lyrics to this song really set the mood for this chapter considering the range of emotions felt by both Blake an Dane.  Dane returns from around the world to find his emotions have gone full circle and he has landed right back where he started.  You'll see.  But things have a way of working out.  

Enough rambling... I hope you enjoy listening to "Here We Are" by Breaking Benjamin.  Amazing Band.  To hear Ben do another acoustic tour is on MY BUCKET LIST :)  And I hope you enjoy this chapter!  Thank you for all your support!

Berkley sat at the kitchen counter crying while Blake searched the bathroom for a first aid kit.  He returned with several bottles, gauze, sterile tape and a box of bandages.  His features were still darkened with concern.  “I hope you didn’t forget anything.”  She said trying to lighten the mood.

“You don’t have to pretend for me.”  He said ignoring her facade of humor as he began cleaning the cuts and scrapes on her face.  He lifted her chin tilting her face to examine the growing bruise on her right cheek.  He exhaled and his facial muscles ticked angrily beneath his skin.  “I’m not mad at you but dang it Berkley.  I told you not to go, at least without me.”  He paused to look at her but she was staring down at the counter picking at her fingernails.  He sighed and went back to work.

“I know it was a mistake.  I was stupid.”  She admitted.

“I’m not going to argue with you about that.”  He smiled.  “Come on.  I’ll make you a hot bath and then we’ll look the rest of you over.”

Moments later Berkley was soaking in the tub in Danes bathroom with the jets massaging her aching muscles while Blake took a quick shower in her bathroom.  She felt weak and tired so she didn’t soak for long before she turned the jets off and stood in front of the mirror looking over her body for more bruises.  BJ had managed to bruise her wrists, her face and he had kicked her thigh when she fell leaving several large bruises on her hip.  She frowned and slid into her pajamas knowing that Dane would be home early Monday morning much too soon for the bruises and scrapes to be healed.

She walked across the hall and found Blake waiting for her with a weary expression as eyes fell to the black and blue circles forming on her hips.  “Blake, please don’t look at me like that.”  She said as she walking towards him.

“I’m sorry.  It’s just- is this how- was it this bad while I was gone?”

“Please don’t make me talk about it.”  She said avoiding his gaze which spoke volumes. 

If he had to bet money on it, it probably had been much worse.  He understood that she was trying to move on and that rehashing it with him would just upset her more.  She had been through enough today.  All he could think about right now was making sure she was physically okay.  He was going crazy worrying about her mental state of mind too.  She was holding back her tears and pretending to be fine.  He knew better.  But what troubled him the most was the reason why.  He had failed her in regards to BJ and he would never forgive himself.  He wanted to offer her comfort.  He wanted her to know that he intended to make sure that BJ would never touch her again. “It’s fine. I understand.”  He paused taking another good look at her.  He seemed to be sulking when he finally spoke.  “If I had known, I would have come back.  I would have been here for you.”