Predestined - Chapter 2

Chapter 2.

Julian Rapped on the door 3 times, quite loudly. I jumped and let a small yelp out. I heard him chuckle and he knocked again.

'Mom, Dad, someone's at the door.' I called up the stairs at the top of my voice. I heard some exasperated grumbling and then some movement. After a few moments they started coming down the stairs.

'Who knocks this early in the morning? You're fully dressed, are you feeling ok Raven?' mom asked, yawning throughout.

'Yea, I just woke up from a dream and couldn't get back to sleep, I'm fine though mom.' I replied. My mom looked at me for a second and shook her head. I looked at her questioningly.

'You're voice sounds different Raven. You sure you're okay?'

'I'm Fine mom.' I replied slightly startled. I didn't realise my voice was different too. What're the chances of that? I wondered if I could try to sound like my old self but wasn't sure.

Dad opened the door slowly and eyed Julian up. He took a breath and then released it.

'Can I help you?' Dad asked politely, even though it was completely obvious he was annoyed at being woken up.

'Is this the Strong Residence?' Julian asked hesitantly.

Mom looked at Dad and then back at Julian.

'Yes, this is the Strong residence. Can I ask what this is relating to?' mom responded.

'It's regarding Raven. She's been selected to attend "Lenora's Academy for the gifted". It's a prestigious private boarding school. She's been accepted on full scholarship. That is of course if you consent to her attending' Julian replied smoothly.

Mom and Dad looked at each other and then to Raven and then back to Julian.

'Why don't you come in?' Dad politely questioned

'Thank you Mr Strong' Julian graciously accepted and stepped inside. Mom walked away into the kitchen to put the kettle on to make some drinks. I followed mom and dad lead Julian into the living room. I could hear Julian pitching the schools programs and explaining why it was so good to my dad, as Julian was talking I could feel an aura of something, the hairs on my arm seemed to stand on end slightly. I wondered what it could be. I could hear my dad making happy surprised sounds as though he approved of what he saw. I wondered if Julian was somehow influencing my dad. I wasn't concerned too much. He had to be doing it for a reason if he was even somehow manipulating the outcome of the conversation. I helped mom make the drinks in the kitchen while trying to eavesdrop, listening to Julian, his voice sounded so compelling. I at once drew my attention away from him and back to my mom and what we were doing in the kitchen. We both didn't really say much but I figure it was because mom had just been woken quite abruptly. Mom grabbed hers and dads drink and proceeded to go into the living room, I followed a few steps behind and brought a glass of water in for Julian as mom hadn't asked what he'd prefer. Mom sat beside dad on the couch and started peering through the information pamphlets, and after I'd handed the water to Julian I stepped past him and settled in the chair beside him.

'Raven. Do you want to go to "Lenora's academy for the gifted"? Ultimately it is your decision. It seems respectable enough and may stand you in good stead for future jobs. Their courses and such are rivalled by many schools. I've skimmed the information Julian has brought with him and it looks fantastic. I can say it would definitely be worth your while but again. It's your choice Raven'. Dad seemed so ecstatic that I was accepted into this school. Everything almost seemed too easy. Julian must really be persuasive. Maybe he did somehow influence my dad. My mom looked kind of far away as if she were listening to something I couldn't hear. I glanced to look at Julian and found he was focussing all of his attention on mom. After a moment he looked at me and my mom returned to normal.