Chapter12

Not Edited

That name, it was familiar in a way that made my stomach turn. I glanced at the man beside me as I watched Enzo from afar. Valentina was near him while Enzo talked with guests while she kept close by. Turning to my side I was taking in the appearance of the man beside me, I could tell he must've been really handsome when he was younger. His dark brown eyes pierced through me as he gave me a half a smile.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. Bernardi, I hope you're enjoying the wedding" taking another sip of the champagne, the glass lingered on my lips as my gaze kept studying Enzo.

"I am thank you Mrs. Giordano, this wedding was fit for a queen like yourself" with a nod and a smile he walked away as soon as he appeared.

"I'm going to cry.." turning toward the voice, I rushed and hugged Cassie.

"What are you doing here Cass?" Releasing herself from my hug, I was happy to have someone here that was the closest to family I had.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world Li, sorry I'm late but my dad had something to take care before we left and you know how he gets if I would've wanted to come alone" taking my hand Cassie walked me over to the open bar.

"I don't even care that you're late, I'm just happy you made it. I don't know anyone here but Enzo's family and I've been alone most of the night" handing me another filled glass of champagne, I started sipping at the bubbling substance.

"Let's not get sappy Li, I'll always be here for you no matter what. Remember we made that promise in third grade?" Raising her glass to her lips, Cassie looked around to make sure her father wasn't watching as we drank.

"That we would always hate boys?" Taking a sip of the champagne, I lost count of how many glasses I had.

"That too, but we promised that no matter what happened we would be like sisters and I don't know about you but I keep my promises" finishing her glass she took another from the counter.

"I keep my promises too" sipping on the same glass I couldn't help but feel a void, not having any family on the day I got married really made me wish things were different.

"I still can't believe you married Enzo, every girl in New York had their eyes on him and you got him" walking away from the bar, we went to sit outside in the outdoor area of the villa.

"It's not all that great Cass, it's an arrangement. I have no say in what my life is now" we were looking out toward the Italian hills where the sunset glowed upon them.

"I love you Giuliana, you're my sister no matter if we aren't blood but you do have a say about your life. I'm not used to you feeling sorry for yourself all I can tell is is to take advantage of the position you're in. We both know it's a powerful one" with not that many words I knew what she meant, Enzo was a prominent figure in the business world.

"I might as well since my husband is such a prick. All I asked of him was to be at least friends through this whole arrangement but he treats me like he's gods gift and I'm a peasant" feeling the breeze run along my bare back, I could feel myself shiver.

"Why is that dìck rider still all over him? That's your husband now, just give me the word and I'll gladly beat Valentina's ass so you don't get your hands dirty" turning to see where Cassie was gazing at, I saw Enzo walking through the crowds while Valentina on his tail. Taking a sip I leaned against the balcony railing and watched how Enzo's jaw was tensed in annoyance. He weaves through the crowd and looked up to catch me looking dead at him. Quickly turning my attention to Cassie I took another sip of my champagne as I faced the view of the hills.