Chapter 2

"Look, we've gone over this at least ten times. I don't know what else I can tell you," Thea protested, rubbing her eyes.

Detective Dixon scribbled something down in his notebook and Thea wondered what new information he could have gotten from her outburst.

The last two hours had been a blur. One moment she was watching the police run towards her, red and blue lights flashing in the distance, then she watched as they zipped Shae's body into one of those awful black bags. Now she was at the police station being questioned about the strange men who attacked her.

"I'm sorry, Thea," Dixon said gently. "I know this must be frustrating but we need to know everything so we can catch these guys."

"But I've told you everything I remember!" Thea hadn't told them about her flame fingers or the mystery man, Hermes. She didn't want them to think she was insane.

Dixon opened his mouth to speak but promptly snapped it shut and vacated his seat.

"It's alright Stan, I've got this."

Dixon gave her an apologetic smile and left, Josh Cooper taking his seat. He looked dishevelled, as if he'd just gotten out of bed. He mustn't live far away to have already been in bed, Thea thought as she tried to stop imagining him in bed.

Reaching out, Josh took her hand and Thea felt her skin tingle. "Are you alright, Thea?"

His voice was soft and Thea wanted nothing more than to jump in his arms. "I don't know. It doesn't feel like it really happened. Does that sound weird?"

He gave her hand a squeeze. "No, not at all. It's a common reaction to have to something like this."

His voice faltered as he finished his sentence. "I'm sorry about Shae. She was a sweet girl."

Thea nodded, eyes stinging again. "She is - was. She didn't deserve this."

"She didn't," Josh agreed. "That's why we're going to get these guys. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you about them. Can you tell me about the man who saved you though? Did he know your attackers?"

Thea thought of Hermes, how he appeared from thin air. There's no way Josh would believe her. "I don't know, it was dark and I was scared, I didn't get a good look at his face."

Josh patted her hand and Thea felt guilty for lying. Something within her felt that Hermes had been different. Despite not wanting to believe any of it, Thea was beginning to wonder if he'd even been real.

"Your hands are cold, do you want something warm to drink?"

Thea looked at her hands, remembering the fire. Had that been real too? Panicking, she moved her hands away from him, not wanting to set him on fire too. "I'm sorry, Josh, no thank you. Can someone take me home? I'm tired."

"Sure. I'll take you." Grabbing his jacket, Josh wrapped it around Thea's shoulders. Her heart jumped and she inhaled his scent of cologne. A  small voice in the back of her mind whispered, The jacket doesn't smell as nice as Hermes.

Thea shook it away, determined that he hadn't been real. It had just been some mystery man who saved her and didn't want to take credit for it.

Thea sighed at her own silly thoughts. I really am pathetic, she thought.

The air was cool outside and Thea held the jacket close as Josh helped her into his car. It was a four wheel drive, something Thea had always thought pointless for city living but it suited him.

"Where do you live?"

"I live on Hatchett street, I can give you directions."

"It's okay, I know where it is."