Chapter 3

Thea hated three things in her life, brussel sprouts, Steven Segal movies and funerals.

She was currently at the latter, wishing she could be anywhere else.

Matt sat on one side of her, Josh the other. Matt held her hand, anchoring her to reality as she watched the priest finish his opening sermon and invite Shae's mother to the dais. She was a replica of her daughter, the laugh lines and grey streak to her hair the only noticeable differences.

She looked out at everyone, her eyes briefly resting on Thea. "I'd like to thank you all for being here today." Her voice trembled, knuckles white as they gripped the dais tightly. "It says how much Shae has touched all our lives, for you to all be here honouring her life..."

Thea felt herself drifting away, tears falling as Shae's mother told stories of her daughter's life. Small pattering noises sounded as it started to rain, the sound of drops hitting the small cathedral adding to Thea's grief.

Nearing the end of the eulogy, Shae's mother met Thea's eyes. "I'd also like to say a special thank you to Thea Gibson, Shae's workmate. She stayed with my daughter, giving her comfort in her final moments."

Josh reached out and took Thea's free hand, his large hand smothering hers.

"You've always been good to my Shae and though she's gone, I'm so thankful your life was spared." Her voice broke and she walked back to her seat.

Thea wished she could feel comforted by those words but she didn't. No one knew what truly happened three nights ago but herself and her saviour, Hermes. She hadn't seen him since he insulted her and vanished. Thea was beginning to feel like it had all been a dream; Hermes, her powers and her so called destiny involving this Cronos.

She'd looked up Cronos, discovering he was an old Greek Titan who ate his children, afraid they would steal his power. When Zeus was old enough he sent Cronos and the other Titans to Tartarus.

Obviously Hermes had her destiny wrong. It was Zeus he should be talking to. If any of this was real which Thea was trying not to believe.

Unfortunately, Shae's eyes reminded her it was real every night.

For three nights Thea had barely slept. Whenever she finally drifted off to sleep she was back in that forest, searching for someone. Instead, she always found Shae lying on the forest floor, eyes boring into the sky.

Last night as she had tried to force herself awake, Shae's head twisted up, whispering, "Don't let them win, Thea".

How was she meant to pretend it was a dream when Shae wouldn't let her?

Everyone stood as the service ended. It was a closed casket and the burial would be family only. The family had asked Thea to join them but she turned them down, feeling as though she didn't deserve to be near them. Their kindness only fed her guilt. Thea would rather they hate her.

"Thea," Matt squeezed her hand, "you alright, love?"

"I'm okay," Thea whispered.

"Come on." Matt patted her hand. "I'll take you to the bar."

The wake was being held at the bar. Matt had offered to host it and Shae's family were grateful. They weren't rich and Thea knew Matt was feeling guilty for leaving them alone that night. He looked as tired as Thea felt.

Matt's wife, Sharon stood up and pulled Thea with her. "Come on dear. Do you need a lift, Detective Cooper?"

Josh shook his head. "No ma'am, I've got my own car. I have to stop at the station first so I'll meet you there. Please take care of Thea."