Chapter 28

Light shone beyond her eyelids and Thea closed them tighter, not wanting to face reality. She had to be in the Underworld; it was the obvious answer. Tears stung her eyes. She didn’t want to be here. Hermes; grief echoed in her mind and she choked on a sob.

This wasn’t fair.

Thea.

The strange soft voice startled her and she ignored it, trying to pretend this wasn’t real.

You are not in the Underworld, child. Open your eyes.

The voice didn’t sound familiar and hesitantly, she opened her eyes. Trees swayed gently above her and she saw it had been the sun shining on her face. Sitting up slowly, she recognised where she was — her forest.

I believe it is my forest, child.

Turning around, she found a woman watching her from the edge of the small grove. She wore a white dress, contrasting against her soft tanned skin. The dress was in the style of Ancient Greece and clasped at her shoulder with a simple gold broach. Her black hair flowed freely down her back in long waves but what captured Thea’s attention was her eyes; a piercing blue that she had seen before, a blue that many of the Gods shared.

Do you know who I am? Her lips didn’t move and Thea’s eyes widened. Was she speaking in her mind?

Indeed I am, she replied and Thea jumped. It is more comfortable for me to speak this way.

“You are Gaia, right?”

The woman smiled and the sun seemed to shine brighter. I go by many names. Gaia is one of them.

“What’s going on? Am I dead?” she whispered.

Her head shook. Not quite, child. Your soul currently hangs in a sort of limbo. I have spoken at length with my brothers and sisters regarding your sacrifice to our cause. We all believe your soul has served its purpose. Therefore, we are giving you a choice.

“What do you mean, a choice?” Thea stood up and Gaia stepped into the clearing, her movements fluid and graceful.

At this point in time, should I let you go, your soul will be sent to Hades where he shall decide your fate. As I have watched you, however, I have seen your affection for our messenger God and I would like to give you the opportunity – should you desire it – to remain by his side as an immortal in your own right. You would not be God but your life span would match that of Hermes’.

“But… I’m dying. How will you -?”

I have my ways, Gaia smiled. Should you choose this path, I am afraid I must strip you of your current powers. They were gifted to you for one purpose and now that it is over, we cannot let you keep such a powerful gift.

“All of them?” Thea asked, disappointed.

Gaia’s laugh chimed through her thoughts. I may let you keep one. Is this the path you wish to choose?

Thea bit her lip. Being with Hermes forever — just the thought made her heart want to burst. But what if he didn’t want to be with her forever?

He does, Gaia voice became soft. You already know this in your heart.

She knew Gaia was right but still, she hesitated, her mind going into overdrive. She knew what she wanted but she felt she should weigh all her options. This wasn’t a decision to take lightly. Eternity was…well…

Thea. Hands clasped hers and she started. Gaia stood before her, eyes twinkling with amusement. Do not overthink a decision you know your heart has already made.

A sense of peace stole through her and Thea couldn’t help but smile. Gaia was right; the choice had already been made. No rationalising would change her decision.

“You have made your choice?” She spoke out loud this time, her voice soft and gentle.

Thea nodded. “I have.”

Gaia leaned forward and kissed her forehead. Thea felt her love spread through her and she closed her eyes as the forest began to melt away. Good luck, Thea Gibson. I wish you a life of happiness.

Her world faded to black and she felt like she was falling before she was grounded by a familiar voice –

“…ease come back.”

Excitement coursed through her at hearing that voice and she followed it, opening her eyes to the beginning of her new life.

______________________________________________________

A/N - Just to clarify for those who don't seem to realise - there is an epilogue to come. I wouldn't just leave it here.... -_-