Chapter 14

It took Hermes a day and half to realise she was ignoring him.

She spent the first day avoiding him as much as possible, pretending to be focused on her water training and saying she needed to check something whenever he entered the same room as her. When she couldn't avoid him, she simply ignored him. Giselle acted as a mediator between the two of them but their moods were beginning to rub off on her and even she began to get tetchy.

Jaxon took every opportunity he could to be alone with Thea but Hermes seemed to have some sort of sensor that went off every time they were alone. It was the only time Thea was happy to see Hermes, even if it was only for a brief second.

After two days of being ignored, Hermes caught her on the stairs after she'd gone for a walk in the ocean. She had decided to test how far out she could walk before it got too dark to see. Once the lights faded and all she could hear was the noise of creatures unknown swimming in the darkness, it became terrifying.

She'd run back and only started walking when she saw Hermes waiting for her, fury emanating off him. Before he could argue, she'd brushed past him, determined to get back to her room, but he caught her at the stairs.

"Are you out of your mind?" he snarled. "Do you have any idea how dangerous it is out there? What would you have done if something had attacked you?"

Biting her tongue, she tried to move past him but it seemed he'd had enough of being ignored. Grabbing her, he yanked her over his shoulder and she started beating him. "Let me go!"

He walked back to her room, passing Giselle. "Oh Hermes, what are you doing?"

"None of your business!"

"Giselle, help!"

Giselle watched them helplessly and Thea knew she wasn't going to save her. Giselle was still on Team Hermes, believing he was going to come around and apologise. If this was how he was going about it, Thea wasn't having any of it.

"Let me go now before I drown you!"

She shrieked as she was airborne. She landed on the bed, only to be trapped as Hermes sat on her, pinning her down.. "Drown me if you want, but you will listen to me! You don't go out there by yourself! Take Giselle - Gods, take Jaxon - but don't go out there on your own!"

"I'll do what I want," she snapped. "You aren't the boss of me - now get off!"

She tried to push him off with air and was shocked as he used it against her, pushing her further into the mattress.

"I get it, Thea. You hate me right now but that's no reason to act like an idiot and forego your own safety. If you don't want me around, then just tell me instead of acting like a snobby bitch and ignoring me every time I enter the room!"

"Fine, I don't want you around. Happy? Now leave!"

His eyes changed and she felt his grip on her arms soften. "Why is it so important that I apologise?"

"Because you were a jerk! I've heard from others that you don't think I'm Lissandre, then you tell me that I am like her -a cold heartless bitch - and you think I'm just going to let that go? Well, I'm not! I have done nothing to give you any indication that I'm like her. You just keep looking for excuses because you're scared of a woman who died years ago."

He stiffened. "I was not scared of her -"

"Yes, you were. You hated her and you're scared that I'm turning into her, so what does that say? Hate and fear go hand in hand Hermes. Trying to pretend that our argument hadn't happened was not cool. The first argument I can understand, but this one was personal and I can't just pretend it didn't happen. If you're not ready to apologise, then please get off me and leave me alone until you are."