Chapter 27

Zeus and Cronos met each other halfway, fists connecting with a tremendous crash that ripped across the sky. Lightning tore the clouds open, smashing into Cronos, and he plummeted to the earth below. Zeus followed, a bolt of lightning sparking in his open hand as he prepared to attack.

The Olympian Gods sprang into action and Thea watched as Hermes disappeared from her side. Apollo's hand was on her arm, stopping her as she unconsciously started to descend after Josh.

“It's too late,” he shouted in her ear. “I’m sorry.”

Epimetheus came charging at her but was intercepted by Artemis, who, arrow in hand, stabbed him through the hand and kicked him away, drawing a dagger from her boot. Her eyes were alight with excitement, thrilled to be in battle. Ares and Enyo had drifted off, battling two Titans she didn't recognise.

Lapetus and Perses, Lissandre offered.

Shut up! She shouted in her head. How could you do that? I could have saved him!

Thea. Lissandre sounded tired. I could argue that it wasn't possible with you but now is not the time. You must concentrate on the task at hand. Hate me later when you have time.

Apollo broke away from her, clashing swords with Atlas. His face hardened and she could see the exertion of his muscles as he swung his sword at the Titan repeatedly. The sound of their weapons rang in her ears and she looked about at the chaos, shock still claiming her. The sky overhead had darkened, little light breaking through the black blanket of clouds, and Thea tried to push through the shock and rebuild her mental defences.

The image of Josh’s body falling continued to cause them to crumble and panic began to set in. The fight had only just begun and already, a friend was dead and she was failing at the one thing she had to do. Lissandre's voice continued its tirade in the back of her mind and a sob built in her chest.

She couldn't do this.

Hyperion is coming; defend yourself!

A dark haired Titan flew at her, long sword raised, and she held up her hands, praying fire wouldn’t choose to fail her in this moment. Hermes saved her from finding out, reappearing in front of her. He swung his staff, blocking the sword, and the clang of metal rang through the valley below. Hermes shoved Hyperion into the ground with a turret of wind and turning fast, he gripped her shoulders, worry etched across his hardened face. “Thea –“

“I'm sorry,” she garbled. “I know I'm stuffing it up, but Josh –“

“I know,” he spoke over her. “I'm sorry I could not keep my promise, love, but we have to deal with Cronos now. I've taken Josh's body back to Saint Arlington. We will take care of him later.” He kissed her quickly. “Be brave. You can do this.”

He is right, Thea, Lissandre said quietly. Have faith in your abilities and they will not let you down.

Prometheus dropped down behind Hermes and Thea shoved him out of the way, shooting a ball of wind at the Titan. It hit him in the chest and exploded into small balls of wind, shooting around his body and ripping through his armour. Hermes’ staff connected with his head, blood spraying, and Prometheus grunted as he disappeared across the sky.

“Open the gate, Thea.” Hermes moved away, engaging with Hyperion who had returned to the sky. “We will deal with the Titans.”

Hermes drew Hyperion away and Thea watched them all for a moment. These gods - some she even called friends - were fighting, not just to defend their realm, but hers. The panic in her chest slowly started to ebb away and, straightening her shoulders, she looked below, trying to focus on finding the opening of the gate.