Chapter 17

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Persephone repeated for the third time.

“It’s all right, really.” Thea sat in what she’d been told was her room, and Shae sat beside her, looking at her with worry. “It was just a shock, that’s all.”

“Oh, but I feel awful; I thought you would love it. Shae has told me so much about you and I knew you two must be close…”

“No, I did - I loved it,” she smiled at Shae. “Best surprise I’ve gotten in the long time.”

Shae smiled hesitantly and touched her hand. Her hand was cool but not unpleasant. After making a spectacle of herself in the main hall, Persephone had dragged her to her bedroom on the first floor, with Shae following close behind. When Hermes had tried to follow, Persephone had kicked him, literally kicked him out the door. It was funny to watch her kick Hermes, she was too small and delicate-looking to inflict any damage but Hermes had gotten the message. Shae had remained silent, just watching Thea with concern.

“How did this happen?” Thea murmured, her tears finally drying up. “How did you end up in the Underworld?”

Shae looked at her hands. “My memories of my death are a bit…hazy, but when everything became clear, I wasn’t alone. Hermes was waiting for me.”

“Hermes?” Thea asked, surprised.

“Yeah, he told me he would bring me here, to protect me until it was time.”

“Time?”

Shae glanced at Persephone. “Time to make my choice. I wasn’t sure what they meant but then Persephone told me you would be coming down here to see her. She explained about your situation and Hades gave me time to make my choice so I would get to see you.”

“I don’t know why you would want to see me - it was all my fault. I can’t begin to think of how to apolo -“

Shae pinched her lips. “I don’t want an apology, Thea. I don’t blame you at all. I will admit, at first I was pissed about what had happened - I mean why did I deserve to die?” Her voice choked and Thea started to cry again. “But when I learned what you were going through, and what these guys are asking of you, I was furious. I mean - and no offense Persephone - but they’re Gods! Why do they need to drag you into their damn problems? And you were right, I should have listened to you that night. I was stupid.”

Shae leaned over and gave her a hug. “I know it’s not my fault but I’m sorry about all this, Thea. You’re the nicest girl I know and for you to be dragged into this - well, it’s shit.”

Thea hugged her back. “The same goes for you, Shae. This shouldn’t have happened to you. I’m sorry.”

She felt Shae hesitate. “My parents, are they okay?”

She didn’t know what to say. Thea hadn’t seen them since the funeral. She didn’t want to lie but she didn’t want Shae to worry. “They’re getting there,” she lied, hoping it was close to the truth.

Persephone started bawling and they jumped. “Oh, I feel so awful! I should have known this would happen. I was just so excited to surprise you.”

Shae went over and patted her hand. “It’s okay, Persephone. It’s good we got all this out to begin with. Clear the air, so to speak. It also means we’ve got time to move onto the important stuff.”

Persephone looked up with watery eyes. “Important stuff?”

An evil gleam took shape in Shae’s eye and Thea could see her old friend shining through. “Yeah, like the fact that Hermes wants to jump my girl here.”