Chapter 8

Trying to get ready for a date with a nosy God in her apartment was proving to be a nightmare.

Normally, Thea would pamper herself, doing a facial and applying all her lotions and potions, but with Hermes hovering around her, she couldn't do anything.

Every time she tried to do something, he would be watching or asking her questions outside her bedroom door. After threatening him with bodily harm and locking her door, Thea was finally ready.

The black dress hugged her frame well, resting a couple of inches above her knees. The neck curved along her collarbone and the sleeves rested above her elbows. She had to admit, the dress was overkill but she was wearing it for Shae. Turning on her side, she did a final assessment in the full length mirror. Her body had natural curves which Shae had always envied. She had been small in frame and had often wore push up bras to try and accentuate what little she had.

Thea wore strappy stilettos to try and add height to her small stature. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun with small tendrils falling around her face, and she wore no jewellery with only minimal makeup. She hated wearing eye shadow and foundation; it always felt thick and heavy on her skin.

Grabbing her jacket, she unlocked her door and walked out to grab her phone. Hermes was lying on the couch, engrossed in one of her fantasy novels. Walking around the kitchen island, she grabbed her phone and checked the time. She had ten minutes before Josh arrived.

"You better not ruin tonight, Hermes." She dropped the phone in her clutch and snapped it shut. She heard something hit the floor behind her. "You know, you can just stay here. I'll call the house phone if anything happens -"

"You're not going."

Thea sighed, head tilting back to look at the ceiling before looking over at him. "Yes, I am."

Hermes was off the couch, the book forgotten on the floor. His eyes were stuck on her dress. "I thought you were only going to a movie?"

"We are -"

"And you're wearing that?"

His eyes raked over her body, a strange expression on his face. Thea watched his lips thin and memories of the night before came rushing back. Feeling her cheeks warm, she looked away.

When she'd woken up this morning, she'd decided to pretend it had never happened. Hermes had met her at her bedroom door when she finally gathered the courage to walk out.

"Did you sleep?" he had asked.

She had walked past him to get her breakfast without answering.

"I thought so," he had chuckled and thankfully, he didn't bring it up again.

She looked down at her dress. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"You're trying too hard." His voice sounded strangled. "Go and change. You look like you're trying to sell yourself."

Thea's temper flared. "I do not! And I'm not changing. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean Josh won't."

Hermes turned away, muttering, "Those damn legs are going to be burned into my brain."

Fortunately, Thea was too busy checking her phone again and didn't hear him. At that moment, a car horn noised from the street below. Looking out her window, she recognised Josh's four wheel drive.

"I'm off. Please don't screw this up for me."

Hermes frowned. "What else am I meant to do tonight?"

Rolling her eyes, she was almost out the door when Hermes voice stopped her. "Don't let your guard down, Thea. If the Titans see you without me, they may attack."