Chapter 7

After she'd covered herself and eaten, Hermes began her training. Sitting down on the couch, he placed her world atlas on the table. It was a large book she'd kept from high school - most people threw out their school books but Thea hated to throw away any type of book.

"Move the book across the table using only air."

Thea stared at him. "You're supposed to teach me how."

"I am teaching you. Once you move the book, we'll move onto the next step." With that, Hermes settled in and started watching her recorded episodes of Community.

Annoyed, Thea decided she wouldn't sink so low as to ask for his help. She would figure this out herself. Sitting on the opposite end of the couch, she fixed her eyes on the book, unsure of how to begin. She tried to picture it moving in her mind, or wind bursting from her fingertips like the flames had, but the book didn't budge.

After staring at it for two hours with no change, she felt her resolve caving. She had no idea what she was doing. Sighing in defeat, she looked over to Hermes who was engrossed in the 'paintball' episode.

"Hermes?"

"Hm?"

She hesitated, hating herself for having to ask. "Will you please help me?"

"Got to figure it out for yourself, Peaches."

Thea bit the inside of her cheek and kept silent. She wondered if she really did have to figure this out for herself, or if he was just doing this to annoy her. Her instincts screamed it was the latter.

Standing up, she grabbed the book and headed for her balcony. Hermes didn't look up from the TV. "Where are you going?"

"Outside, I can't concentrate in here."

Walking out, she pulled the door shut behind her, quietening the noise of the paintball war happening on her TV screen. Sitting at her small table, she placed the book down and resumed staring.

The afternoon slowly passed and the sun began to fade, but still the damn book wouldn't budge. The sight of the map on the front cover was beginning to taunt her. Tears of frustration formed and she rubbed them away. She had thought being outside might help but it made no difference.

Vaguely, she heard the door slide open and heard Hermes call her name. When she didn't respond he crouched beside her. "How's it going?"

She didn't answer, wishing he would go away. Now there was two objects on her balcony taunting her. She heard a sigh and jumped as fingers touched her chin, turning her to face taunter number two.

"What?"

His face was gentle, unnerving her. "Close your eyes, Thea."

Too tired to argue, she did as she was told.

"Feel the air around you right now. Feel it against your skin."

She felt the cool breeze brush her arms, moving softly through her hair. The sound as it passed by her ears was soothing.

"Do you feel it?"

She nodded.

"Now try to imagine recreating that feeling in your mind. It's a light feeling so don't try push it too hard."

Feeling the air around her, she tried bending it to her will and shaping it . She flowed with it and in her mind, felt a small ball began to form.

Hermes fingers still rested on her chin. "Once you've done that, move it towards the book."

Thea held out her left hand, unsure why, and released the ball of air. She opened her eyes in time to see the atlas fall off the table and fly into the brick wall.