Chapter 18

“I don’t understand,” Thea said as she paced next to the closed door. “Why is her time up now?”

Persephone sat calmly in a chair near the door, hands folded demurely in her lap. “When Hermes brought Shae here, I asked him to hold off on deciding her fate. He said you were having trouble with her death and I thought it would be good for you to see her before she moves on.”

“Shae told me something similar. Can’t she stay longer, though?”

“Only if she decides to stay here permanently. Her soul is pure and Hades knows she is an innocent. Given the circumstances surrounding her death though, he is giving her the choice to drink from Lethe. It’s not something he offers to people on a whim, Thea. It’s a rare chance; some souls wait millennia for the opportunity to have another chance at life. Personally, I think she would be a fool to stay here.”

Thea stopped pacing. “I know that. I mean, she deserves to live. It’s just…“

“It’s hard to say goodbye?” Persephone finished softly.

Thea nodded, eyes stinging with unshed tears. “I’m not good at this stuff, Persephone. I barely managed to say goodbye at her funeral. How am I meant to do it again face to face?”

Persephone stood up and pulled her into her small arms. “I know it’s hard for you, Thea but you need to stay strong for Shae. Deep down she must be terrified right now. She’s known this was coming since you arrived but she kept a smile on her face so you wouldn’t worry. Now it’s your turn to do the same.”

The door opened and they moved apart as Hades stepped out. He placed a hand on Persephone’s shoulder, his gaze firm, before walking away. Thea rushed in and saw Shae standing by the window. She smiled as they approached but it was fearful and unsure. She touched Shae’s arm. “What did he say?”

“He was very kind,” she said quietly. “He’d already told me what my options were when I arrived. Today, I had to make my choice.”

Thea’s shoulders tensed. “What choice did you make?”

Shae, released a shaky breath, staring out the window. “I chose to drink from the River Lethe.” She paused and faced Thea, eyes filled with worry. “Do you think I made the right choice?”

Thea wanted to cry but she held it in and put a smile on her face. “Definitely. Just think of all those hot men who would be deprived of you if you stayed here?”

Shae laughed but her heart wasn’t in it. “So true. I can’t stay here. The only hot guys I’ve seen so far are Hades and Hermes, and they’re both taken.”

Thea wanted to correct her but knew this wasn’t the time. “How long do you have?”

“Hades is giving me time to say goodbye and then we’re leaving.”

“What?” Thea started. “You don’t get a couple of days or…?”

Shae shook her head. “No, I didn’t want to wait. I was afraid I’d chicken out. Thea, can I ask a favour? Would you mind coming with me? Hades said you can but I understand if you don’t want to -”

“No, I’ll go with you.” She looked at Persephone. “If Hades said it’s all right, I can, right?”

“Yes. You won’t be able to get close to the river, though. The closer you get, the more your memories begin to fade. Remember to stick close to Hades and you’ll be fine.”

“You’re not coming?”

She shook her head. “I can’t. I have duties I must perform here. I wish I could but someone must be here to greet the souls who seek counsel today. I will do this in Hades stead until he returns.”