Chapter Eighteen

A hawk fluttered into a frenzied landing reaching Trey who was huddled up by the bookstore door. His arms wrapped around his legs his head bent over his knees rocking himself in self-comfort.

"Demetrio! What happened?" Tony asked as he transformed from the hawk into human form.

Trey was shaking. Tony tore open a bag of blood he brought and held it to Trey's lips. Trey bolted upright smelling it.

"Easy," Tony said holding him by both shoulders as Trey drank it urgently.

Tony tossed him another bag and Trey drank it with hands still shaking.

"Are you okay, son?"

Trey nodded.

They heard the screeching of tires, a car door slam and then hurried footsteps.

"Em!" Tony called. "Here!"

Emily stepped in view of Trey.

"No!" Trey said looking away.

"You won't hurt me, Trey."

"I said, no!"

Tony handed him another bag of blood which Trey drank quickly.

"Now?" Tony asked looking him over. Trey put his head to his knees and breathed. "You need fresh blood, Trey."

He nodded.

"I'll cover you," Tony said gesturing her into the doorway.

Emily pulled her hair away from her neck.

"I can't control..." Trey said, his voice shaking as bad as his body.

"It's ok, Tony will pull you away."

"Papi," Trey moaned.

"It's alright, son, I'm here," Tony told him squatting next to him.

Emily moved to him. "Drink , Trey."

Trey wiped his eyes. "Why? Why'd he do this to me?"

"Trey, this is how you have to eat now. If you don't eat you'll starve," Emily said

"No. If he doesn't eat he'll kill to eat," Tony said.

Trey covered his head with his arms. "I'm a monster. A monster."

"Trey," Emily pulling at his arms. "You're not a monster. Honey, come on, you just need to eat. Then you'll feel better."

"He's weak... almost like a newborn vamp that just got some control but not quite..." Tony said confused.

"A spell?"

"It's got to be," Tony said. "He's too old and experienced for this."

Trey groaned as if in pain.

"Demetrio, let her give it to you!" Tony yelled.

Trey spun and knocked Emily to the ground covering her body with his own.

"Easy," Tony said putting a hand on Trey's back as Trey drank from her neck.

"Okay, that's enough," Tony said pulling his shoulders back. Trey fought against him continuing to drink. Emily moaned beneath him. "Demetrio!" he yelled pulling him off of her.

"Em," Tony said softly sitting next to her. He pulled out a handkerchief and held it to her throat.

She stared at the sky and concentrated on breathing.

"God, Em, I'm sorry," Trey came rushing over.

"Are you better?" Tony asked.

He nodded and sat down next to her moving Tony's hand off her throat. He put his hand to her throat and it began to glow.