Chapter Seven

I’m sitting in the rec room working on Algebra homework with Everett and Toby.

“This shit is ridiculous,” Toby sighs. Suddenly, a female’s ear-shattering scream echoes through the halls.

“Holy hell…what was that?” I say. Toby sets his pencil down.

“Mental Marilyn is getting ECT done today,” Everett says. “She hates ECT.”

“What is ECT?” I ask.

“Electroconvulsive Therapy. It’s a shock treatment. They say it helps her schizophrenia. I say that they’re nuts. It just scares her and pisses her off. They directly shock her messed up little brain with electricity,” Toby says.

“That doesn’t sound fun. Painful, even,” I say.

“She’s put under a heavy anesthesia during the therapy. I’m betting they’ll do the ECT then take a few MRI’s of her brain while she’s still knocked out. Killing two birds with one stone. The ECT never works anyway,” Everett says. I sigh, and close my algebra book.

“Why do they do it to her if it doesn’t work?” I ask. I’m curious. ECT doesn’t sound pleasant.

“I have no idea. They do a lot of medical experiments on her. They give her so many different meds to see how they affect her. Nothing works. I sometimes feel bad for her,” Toby tells me.

“I know. It’s unnecessary. Really, considering how dangerous she is said to be, she’d be euthanized. They keep her alive because her brain is extraordinary. Did you see the MRI of a normal human brain compared to Marilyn’s? She’s missing the part of her brain that is the empathetic part. The way her brain works is studied by scientists worldwide. They’ve made a documentary on her for the Discovery Channel. They also did a Criminal Minds episode base off of her. She’s infamous for being a prodigy gone wrong,” Everett agrees. I tap my pencil on the table.

“It’s a shame, really. She’s so gorgeous but so…messed up,” Toby sighs, resting his head on the table.

“I wonder what it’d be like to date her,” Toby starts, staring off into space.

“She’d castrate you with a razor blade in your sleep,” Everett mutters. I laugh, and so does Everett.

“A rusty one at that,” I comment.

“It’d be so worth it to have sex with her,” Toby laughs. Everett stands up and walks over to the door, and the window next to it.

“Oooh…they’re bringing her out ,” Everett motions for us to come over. I walk over there and there are some guards carrying Marilyn out. She’s kicking and screaming, cursing at the guards.

Marilyn is rendered unconscious when a guard sticks a needle in her thing. She passes out immediately. I do feel bad for her.

During dinner that night, which is pizza, I’m thinking about Marilyn and how they treat her. It seems unfair. It’s almost seven by the time I finish eating. I do eat slowly. I’m thinking the whole time about Marilyn. I’m going to break into her cell tonight.

At midnight, I exit my room and walk down the hall. The guards are asleep around the corner from her room. I walk past them and look into Marilyn’s cell. She’s fast asleep, sitting in the corner of the room with her head on her knees.

I twist the handle on the door, and after a few tries, it comes ajar. I look into the room, and step in, my shoes squeaking against the padded floor. I shut the door behind me. I’m trying to stay quiet, because I don’t want to wake her.

My conscience is yelling at me while the voices tell me to continue on. I’m not careful where I step, and I accidentally step on Marilyn’s bare foot. She wakes up, looking at me. She scowls.

“What in the hell are you doing here?” Marilyn says. She moves towards me using the corner of the cell to help her stand up.

“Please don’t hurt me. I just want to talk to you. Please. I’m Donovan,” I say.

“You’re not supposed to be in here with me, Donovan. I will kill you. I’ve said it before. DO you want me to describe in full detail what I will do to you if you don’t leave the room? You seem like a smart boy, Donovan. A smart boy such as you should not be in here with a psychopath like me. I could hurt you,” Marilyn says, her voice almost a soft coo.

Marilyn continues, “I’m mental Marilyn. That’s what you stupid boys call me. Oh, if only you knew how mental I am. I’m very messed up, Donovan. After all, I do like the taste of human blood,” Marilyn laughs for a moment, softly. “I’m a bloodthirsty, cannibalistic psychopath.”

I’m getting scared of her. She’s teasing me and messing with my mind.

“I know what all you boys think, Donovan. You think I’m pretty. Every guy does. I am. I am gorgeous. But, I’m insane. I’m mental Marilyn. I killed my parents. I enjoyed every minute of it. If you don’t get yourself out of my room right now,” Marilyn coos. “You’ll be my next victim. And, I’ll enjoy it. It’s been unimaginably long since I last killed. And, you know what? I’ve wanted to kill for a while now.”

I’m leaning against the wall, propping myself up with my arm. Marilyn moves over so her head is resting on my arm. She scowls, then bites my arm so had that it bleeds. I try to get her off because of the pain.

She lets go and I’m bleeding pretty severely. Marilyn has a little bit of blood on her chin. She licks it off.

“Why do you have to be such a freaky, ice cold, heartless bitch?” I snap. Marilyn growls.

“Because I don’t feel empathy. I’m a psychopath. All of the doctors here treat me like a lab rat. Test after test after test after test. Today, I had my brain shocked with several hundred watts of electricity. No one cares about mental Marilyn. I’m just a messed up little girl. I kill. And, I enjoy it. No one sympathizes with mental Marilyn. All they do is lock me up in a padded cell. I’m crazy! Messed up in the head! I’m a fucking psychopath! I don’t have feelings! I’m sick of being poked and prodded. No one cares for mental Marilyn, the prodigy gone wrong!” Marilyn screams at me. She does have feelings, and she doesn’t like being tested. I knew it.

The guards, awoken by the screaming, run into the room. They shove me away, and I watch as they sedate Marilyn, and she falls fast asleep. I put my hand over my bleeding arm. She bit me good. I’m bleeding pretty heavily.

The guards walk me to the nurse’s office, where the nurse cleans the bite with some rubbing alcohol which burns excessively. They bandage the wound and send me back to my room. I pass Chris on the way there. His eyes got to the bandage on my left arm.

“What happened to you?” He asks.

“Mental Marilyn bit me,” I say, rubbing my arm.

“She bit you?” Chris says, his eyes wide.  Of course he’s shocked.

“She bit me. I’ll give you the details tomorrow. I’m exhausted,” I say, going into my room.

I think about Marilyn, staring up at the ceiling while laying in bed that night. Marilyn does feel bad. She doesn’t like all the testing that’s done on her. Of course she doesn’t. No one would. I will have to explain the bite to everyone tomorrow.

I do feel sympathy for Marilyn. I think she’s really just misunderstood. I want to go into her cell and tell her how I feel.

I’m going tomorrow.