Chapter Fifteen

Fifteen: Donovan’s P.O.V

I can pee normally! At last. Finally. I’m standing in the bathroom, pants at my ankles, and I just screamed with joy. The nurses come running in the room, thinking something is wrong since it’s four in the morning.

“I can pee!” I say, happily. “I can pee at last!”

“That’s great, Donovan,” a nurse says, walking away, laughing. Okay, so maybe I’m happy that I can pass a steady stream of urine finally, but I seriously thought something was wrong. Marilyn did kick me hard in the crotch.

It’s family visitation day. My mom and dad are coming to see me, and I am excited. I do miss my parents a lot. I don’t know how I’ll explain my healing black eye and arm in a sling, but I’ll find a way. I’ll make up some lie. I go back to bed for a couple hours.

I haven’t gone back to Marilyn’s room for a couple days, but she did make a run for it yesterday. She somehow got out of her cell, and ran down the hall. It was actually kind of awesome. But, then she ran into a door, and got caught and sedated so it ended her run for freedom. I’m not really mad at her anymore. I’m just scared she’s going to hurt me again. I heard that they put another lock on her door, so I will have to steal the keys from the guards if I want to see her.

When I get up, everyone else is at breakfast. I guess I slept in a little while. I get up and get ready, then walk out to the cafeteria for breakfast, which is pancakes. The pancakes aren’t bad. Not bad at all.

I sit down at the table where I’ve gotten used to sitting at, with the boys.

“So, you have family coming today, Donovan?” Everett asks, his mouth full of pancakes. I nod.

“Yeah. My parents. I’m a little bit excited. Oh, and I can pee now,” I say. The boys laugh.

“Donovan misses his mommy and daddy,” Evan says. That causes more laughter.

“Of course I do. I love my parents. And, they understand me,” I say.

“How can they understand you? They sent you to this dump,” Malcolm comments. I take a bite of the pancakes, drenching it in the syrup.

“I don’t like that part of it, but they both have mental illnesses. My dad is a schizophrenic and a necrophiliac. My mom is bipolar, has ADHD and was depressed,” I say.

“Your dad is sexually attracted to corpses?” Chris says.

“Yeah. He doesn’t do anything with it anymore,” I say. “He’s married to my mom so obviously she’s the only one he does the nasty with.”

“I wish my parents had mental illnesses. That’d be kind of cool,” Everett says. I stand up and take my food to the trash. The pancakes are the only thing I want to eat right now.

When my parents get here, Toby sees my mom and nudges my shoulder.

“Your mom is a MILF,” He whispers. I look at him, a little grossed out, and shove him away before going to hug my mom, who is so happy she’s bouncing up and down a little bit. I guess you could attribute that to her ADHD too. My dad just stands there and smiles all the while thinking that mom may be going a little crazy. She doesn’t let go when she hugs me.

“Mom, you’re hurting me. I love you, but could you let go? I can’t really breathe,” I say. Dad looks at her.

“Yeah. Juliette, you’re a little hyper, honey. Don’t break our son,” Dad says. Mom lets go and looks up at me. Even dad knows mom may be a little crazy.

 Not mental-Marilyn-crazy, but just a little bit crazy.

I still missed my parents and I still love them.

My mom freaks when she sees my black eye, which I covered with my hair, and when she notices that I’m not wearing my sling that I have to go and get in the middle of the visit because my arm is killing me, she panics, demanding how I got injured. I have to explain to her that I fell, and she believes it, but my dad doesn’t. He just doesn’t say anything. He’s a pretty good liar, so he can spot when I’m lying. My mom is pretty gullible.

I introduce my parents to my friends, and Toby, Malcolm and Everett are staring at my mom’s boobs the whole time which gets super awkward. I’ll deal with them later. I go on a tour of the mental institute grounds with my parents, and I’m trying to look like I’m not bored out of my mind when we take that tour. Then, my psychologist and teachers talk to my parents, and I get a chance to peer into Marilyn’s cell. She’s sitting in the corner, just staring at the wall, looking seemingly sad. I’ll try to go talk to her tonight.

I’ve never seen Marilyn look that upset. Really, the only emotion I’ve ever seen on her is happiness when she was hurting me and running away, and anger the rest of the time. She actually looks sad today. I wonder why, and I’m a little amazed that she does look as sad as she does. She usually doesn’t show emotion. That’s…strange. Really strange.