Chapter Twenty-One

I’m talking with Marilyn. She’s looking at me while I tell her about my family.

“Donovan, I want to tell you something,” Marilyn says. I hold her hand.

“What is it?” I ask.

“Truthfully, I don’t like the taste of blood and human flesh. That was a lie to make me sound tougher. Yes, I do admit to cannibalism, but that was because there was no food in the house and I had to eat something. It’s gross. It made me sick, and I barfed in the police car, so I’m never going to do that again,” Marilyn says. I pull her closer.

“I really never believed that you liked it in the first place. I understand why you did it,” I tell her. I am thankful that she isn’t cannibalistic. I mean, she did eat human flesh, but she didn’t like it. That’s a relief.

“I mean, I was really hungry, and there was no food in the house, and I didn’t want to go to the store because it was miles away and I couldn’t drive, so I did what I had to do. And afterwards, I was horrendously sick. I actually vomited in the police car, and there was blood in it so they took me to the hospital, where they found out what I had done. I was surrounded by news crews the whole time I was staying in the hospital. I refused to talk to anyone. I just laid there. Then, I was put on trial immediately after I was released,” Marilyn says. She rests her head on my shoulder, and I kiss her.

“They’re never going to release me from here, Donovan. Even if you decided that you loved me enough to start a family with me, they’d never let me go. I’m unsafe to be out in public. I was supposed to serve life in prison with no chance of parole. I can’t leave here. I belong here. I’m a psycho, and I can’t be out in the world with normal people because I am not normal. Nowhere near normal. I’m crazy. And, I can’t have kids. I shouldn’t. I mean, I wouldn’t love them. I’d end up killing them, Donovan,” Marilyn says. “I wouldn’t want to, I just would. I can’t help it.”

“I know, Marilyn,” I say. She stands up, and walks around.

“If you’re going to be with me, there’s a lot to expect,” Marilyn says. I stand up and walk over to her. I put my hands on her shoulder, and she looks at me.

“I can handle you, Marilyn. Don’t worry. Okay?” I tell her. She nods hesitantly. I tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear, and she touches my hand.

“I love you,” I say. I gently kiss her.  She looks at me, and then the wall.

A couple days pass. I’m getting used to being with Marilyn, and she’s changing for the better. She’s calmer and has only yelled at me once, and that was because I gave her a bruise on her arm after I hit her while I was asleep. She got pretty pissed.

Anyway, it’s a Friday, after my classes. I’m sitting in the room with Marilyn, who is lying on her stomach, and looking at me.

One of the doctors comes into the room.

“I want to try something. Marilyn, do you want to leave the cell for dinner?” The doctors ask. Marilyn stands up and nods sharply.

“Yes,” She says. I stand up with her, and hold her hand. She gets to leave the cell for a little while. She’s really happy. The fact that she’s happy makes me happy. Now, I don’t how I’m going to explain to the guys that mental Marilyn is going to be eating with it.

Later on, I walk into the cafeteria, holding Marilyn’s hand, and everyone is staring at her. She scowls at a couple of them, and they look away, silently whispering to each other.

I approach the table that I usually sit at, with the boys, and their eyes won’t leave Marilyn. She is about to kill all of them, so I tell them to stop staring.

We sit down, and Marilyn doesn’t let go of my hand. Everett leans over.

“Mental Marilyn is eating with us?” Everett whispers.

“Yes,” I say. He sits down slowly.

I just hope none of the guys do anything stupid in front of Marilyn.

I don’t want her to kill them.