.V. [EDITED]

V.

There was still a substitute for first period for the third time in a row. It was official that Ms. E had her baby boy and wasn't going to be here for the rest of the school year. The only good thing about that was she didn't leave any work for us to do. So while the school was trying to make up assignments, it was basically a free period .

I turned a bit, flinching only a little. The wounds on my back didn't hurt as much anymore. It felt like a dull ache, better than it was on Saturday and Sunday.

The first bell didn't ring yet, the only people in the room besides myself was the sub who just walked in. He was a young guy, barely looked a day over fifteen but was actually twenty-four. Short, blond haired blue eyed kind of guy with a childlike face. He let us call him Ian. I watched as he stumbled over the chair leg, getting to his chair, a red tint coating his cheeks. He was quite clumsy and innocent.

I stiffened as I watched Graham enter the room, a fresh scent of pine trees wafting around my nose. I quickly ducked my head away from him, holding my breath to keep my resolve. I couldn't talk to him, not again. That pain was something I couldn't handle, no matter how safe he made me feel. I felt his presence in front of me but I didn't bother to look up, not even in his direction.

"Hey," he spoke, his hand resting on my shoulder and I held back the shiver I felt in response. Warmness and a shock sparked from that touch, but I kept myself grounded. I gritted my teeth shut to keep quiet and regulated my breathing to keep calm. I shook his touch away and looked outside, bored, hoping he would take the hint.

"What was that?" His voice got demanding in a way, almost making me cower under him submissively. I tentatively bit my lip before scolding myself and stopped. I ignored him, trying hard to concentrate on this specific cloud. Was it an octopus or a ship? "Elliot, I know you can hear me." He tried again, the disappointment growing in his voice.

The bell rang as I glanced over at Ian. His eyes were wide and he looked like he wanted to intervene, but he knew he wasn't strong enough to hold Graham back. He was smaller than me. Besides, he looked like a lover not a fighter. Luckily, Graham gave up.

"Fine," he sighed, before retreating to somewhere far from me. I didn't look in his direction, just temporarily burying my head into my arms on the table. Soon after, kids began piling in with conversations that were probably still going on since breakfast in the lunchroom. Nick and Gregory walked in, talking to a bunch of lacrosse members, and I stopped looking at them and glanced out the window again. My hand brushed past the cut mark on my face, making me tense, as if I could still feel the piping hot feeling boiling my body from the inside out.

***

I silently closed my locker after taking out some books for class that I would need later on and putting in books from classes that already passed. By then, the hallway was getting more crowded and louder since lunch was over. I began walking in the direction of class, maneuvering around the bodies of people pushing pass to go the opposite way.

"Hey," a familiar voice called out from behind, stiffening my body rigid. I kept on walking, paying attention to Adrian's footsteps behind me. He wasn't about to corner me again. I walked a bit faster, diving right into my English class just as he grabbed my arm. Adrian stopped by the door, his mouth open, spotting the teacher sitting at his desk and looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Is there a problem, Adrian?" asked Mr. Goodwill.

Adrian quickly closed his mouth, looking at the teacher and then me. "No sir," he muttered, letting go of my arm and giving me one last glance before disappearing down the hallway.

I silently walked passed Mr. Goodwill, sitting in a seat away from everyone else. I watched as everyone talked in their small groups, laughing and giggling at something funny someone said. Even Graham joined in. I watched his laughter, his eyes slowly drifting towards mine. I quickly looked away, trying to find an interest in something else.