.IX. [EDITED]

"Come on, we're almost there." Allison grinned brightly, biting her bottom lip to stifle a giggle that almost bubbled past. She excitedly grabbed my arm, tugging to keep me walking at her lively pace. I rolled my eyes, darting my attention to Monica, who was unusually silent, following behind us. She definitely knew what was up. My eyes met with hers, narrowing slightly. Knowing exactly what I wanted, she turned her attention elsewhere, whistling. Damn her.

I sighed, running my free hand through my messy hair. They dragged me out the house before I had chance to do anything to it. I guess I would have to be 'surprised' the old fashion way. Surprises were all right to me, except Allison and Monica were the one surprising me. In this case, surprise wasn't the correct word; it was more like a heart attack. But wherever we were going was pretty damn far. I mean, what surprise was kept in the woods or even this deep?

I trotted over the uneven terrain, colorful words spewing out my mouth loudly as I almost managed to stumble over an unforeseen rock. It was too damn dark for this! The flashlight I balanced in my hand didn't help the situation either. I shined it forward, nothing but pitch-black darkness for miles. I was starting to question if Allison really could see anything or knew where she was going.

A howl of an animal echoed in the forest, halting me in my tracks, with Allison releasing my arm with wide eyes. Okay, forget the surprise that sounded like a wolf. I looked at both my best friends and they seemed to agree. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, the flashlight I was holding began flickering. Soon, it stopped completely. Another howl filled the air.

My heart hammered against my chest, reverberating back in my ears. "A-Allison," I stuttered, swallowing the terror I felt, trying to keep some of my masculinity. Silence filled the air as I blindly grasped out to search for them only to grab the summer night air. "Monica," I tried, holding the whimper I wanted to release when I heard nothing. And what I did hear next was not what I wanted to, a growl.

Instinctively, I stepped back, the pounding growing louder in my ears like African drums. My body trembled in fright as I heard a branch snap in front of me.

"W-who's there?" I demanded, sightlessly looking around, gripping the dead flashlight tightly in my quaking hand. If all else fails, it could be used as a weapon.

I swallowed thickly as no one answered, taking another step back. "Allison, Monica; if this is a joke, it's not funny anymore," I spluttered, yelping noisily as I bumped into something coarse and rough like tree. A wisp of cool air rushed through me, sending shivers right to my bones.

Another snarl tore through the air, dangerously close to my ear. Instincts kicked in as my heart pitched forward and out my chest, dashing away from the sound. I hyperventilated noisily; hiking through the darkness as various branches slapped across and stung my face. My feet thumped heavily against the earth, using my hands as a guide in the night.

I pumped my legs harder, hearing the sounds gaining on me. A cry escaped my lips as I felt myself hurl forward and to the earth. I hissed as pain sprung from my arms and legs, what felt like branches dug into my skin. The flashlight that managed to tumble away from me, turned back on from the impact of falling. I groaned as I crawled towards the only light source, wincing every step of the way at the ache in my left side. Grabbing the light firmly in my hand, I flashed it around seeing nothing. A choked whimper still escaped my lips as I brought my feet closer to myself. This joke definitely wasn't funny anymore.

Feeling something loosely grab my arm, a scream tore out of my lungs as the flashlight fell out my hand again, rolling a few inches away. I scuttled away, violently fighting against its grasp. I snatched the flashlight, shakily shining it on what ever grab me because it seemed human. A heart wrecking sob escaped my lips, tears streaming down my face as I looked at who it was.