VII

At the end of school, Becca and I meet in the parking lot next to the football field and the gym. She walks up with a confident strut as I stand beside the Explorer.

"Ready?" I ask.

She nods while dropping her bag off her shoulders and into her left hand. I see her blaster in the pocket on the side. "Are you ready?"

I just smile and head into the driver's side. Within seconds, the two of us are off of campus as I drive towards Becca's apartment. I notice she pulls her out vaporizer, puts it to her mouth, roll down the window, and blow the vapor out into the air.

"You actually rolled down the window," I say since she was so opposed to the idea at the party.

She laughs. "I just didn't wanna hear you bitch about it again."

"Thanks," I chuckle. "Why do you like that stuff, anyway?"

"I don't know how to explain it. It's good. It feels nice. I don't know." She pauses. "Wanna try?"

I think about it for a second. "I think I'm good."

"Suit yourself." She looks out the window again. "Hey, can you drop me off at the gas station? I'm just gonna get a two liter."

"Sure."

I pull up to a convenience story. Tired from school work, I choose to stay in the car as Becca goes inside. I watch her through the glass walls and see her look around the shelves. She walks up to the counter with a soda bottle. After paying the cashier, she walks out with her signature long strides.

As she begins to open the passenger door, a voice calls out from beside the store's door. "Korse!" it yells

Becca turns around to see a young man with a neon green blaster in his hand. Almost like on instinct, she pulls the door out to block the first stream of water shot. The guy shots a second at her feet. She dodges it by practically leaping into the car.

"Get moving," she says while closing the passenger door. I back out as the guy shoots repeatedly at the window. Becca, slouched in her seat, rolls down the window just enough to where the nozzle peaks out. She fires and the stream of water lands right on the man's shoulder. She just puts her middle finger to the glass and says, "I win, you bastard." She jumps in excitement as I still have shock on my face.

Over the course of the drive, I relax as Becca takes celebrator sips from the two liter. Eventually, we're at her apartment. Becca leaps out still cheerful and jumps out. But something happens. She stands still. Her smile shrinks. Her joy faded.

"You okay, Bec?" I ask from within the car.

She looks over her shoulder at me. "Yeah," she looks down for a second before looking back up. "Would you wanna come in?"

I'm not sure exactly what to say. The sudden shift in emotion worries me. "Yeah, of course," I say softly. I get out and walk beside her. To my surprise, she reaches out for my hand. Her grip isn't strong or firm. It's just... there.

Slowly, we walk up these steel stairs to the second story. We walk down a dimly lit cement hallway with several doors on either side. We don't travel far as her apartment is only the second door down to the left, apartment thirty-three. Becca pulls out a brass key and unlocks the door-she does all this without letting go of my hand. With a small push, the door creaks open to expose the apartment to us.

It's small; very small. A tiny living room is to my right with a couch on the back wall that seats two, maybe three. To its left is a tall lamp post. In front of it is a small, wooden, black table. On the opposite side is a bulky television on a short stand.

To my left is a small dining table next to the kitchen. The kitchen is mostly a mini-fridge, a stove, and a counter microwave. Between them is a narrow hall with a door on either side. And that's the whole apartment.

"Welcome, to casa de Korse," Becca says while dropping her bag by the door and planting herself on the couch. She sees my discomfort. "What's wrong Danny-boy?"

"Uh... I'm okay. It's just... kinda small for two."

Becca doesn't respond. "Sit down, Daniel." I do so hesitantly. She leans her head onto my shoulder and takes in a deep breath. "Two people don't live here."

I look forward at the blank television screen. "Well, then where's your mom?"

"I don't know." She lets out a shaky breath. "Last time I saw her, she was walking in an orphanage with her little Becky. Then she walked out... without little Becky." I'm speechless as her voice lacks the sureness it once held. "So, I turned eighteen two months ago, I had some money, and I bought this place."

"How'd you get the money?"

She looks up at me. "I work the street corners, Danny-boy." I jump a little as she lets a small laugh escape. "I'm kidding. I worked as a cashier at a grocery store downtown."

I think more about this. "Why did you lie that your car's in the shop?"

"It is. I just don't like people knowing I live alone. They always give me some weird look. Tracy, Trent, and Nate have been my friends for years and don't know this." She tilts her head up a bit to look up at me. "Please, don't tell them."

I turn my head and look down at her. "I won't. I promise."

She looks deep into my eyes, she slowly moves herself closer, and we're eventually kissing once again. It's a perfect mixture of innocent and want as the kiss soon intensifies. Before long, I somehow ended up on top of her as she rests on the couch. She pulls away and puts her hand on my cheek. "I love you, Daniel Sewer."

"I love you, Becca Korse," I say back as we return to kissing.