X

I wasn't quite sure what to do about Trent, Tracy, Nate all climbing into the Explorer. The car hasn't had more than two people in it for a while. Trent and Nate turn to a station that plays hits from the 2000's as they created a game. Whenever a new song came one, they had to think of the coolest memory where they remember the song playing. Obviously, neither of them could really recall much.

Tracy was in the passenger seat and directing me out of the city and towards Lake Ankle. Along the way, she looked down on her phone and let a small frown cross her face.

"Becca says she won't be able to make it."

"WIth Josh?" I mumble.

Tracy just grins. "Is Daniel Sewer getting a bit jealous?"

I pause for a moment. "I'm not jealous. I just don't know how sold on Josh I am."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night. You guys are still cute together."

"We're not together though," I say.

"Are you sure?" She turns around to see that Nate and Trent are still caught up in their music game. "Becca told me of your little meet up at her place." I try not to looked shocked but it still gets to me. I don't understand why Becca would tell Tracy. I know they're best friends but it's still a bit disturbing. "I guess you're lucky her mom didn't catch you two." Well, she doesn't know everything.

"Why'd she tell you?"
"Cause she wanted advice. She likes you, Daniel. She hides it with a tough girl persona but she's a softy for you deep down."

I can't exactly think of what to say so i just mumble, "Sure."

Tracy realizes I don't want to discuss this anymore. Eventually, we're at Lake Ankle. The road ends in an empty cul de sac. Then, an old, worn sidewalk guides us past over a dozen yards of trees as the ground is covered with grass, dirt, and gravel.

Eventually, it opens before us. The swimming hole isn't large but still an above average size. We stand on a ledge overlooking Lake Ankle that's about forty feet high. To my right is a cement ramada with two long, rectangular tables underneath. The tables are rusted and the legs are coated with cobwebs. To my left is a trail downwards that seems to lead to and from the lake's shore.

"Come here, guys," Trent says while guiding us to one of the picnic table. He sits on one side while Nate, Tracy, and I face him. "Okay, I thought this through. All of us will take a different position. This will allow us to cover each other. Nate, You get up in the tree by the trial so you can get them from behind. Daniel, there's a small ledge on the face of the cliff. You can crouch down on it and spring up if any of them start to catch onto us. Tracy, Be in the bushes by the trail down. I'll climb onto of the ramada's roof to cover you two on the ground."

"What one of us gets eliminated, We leave and head to the car before anyone else comes around. We don't know who all is coming so maybe we're over our heads. Let's just get into place, They'll be here in minutes."

We first help Nate into the tree by the trail. Next, I give Trent a boost up onto the ramada's roof. Afterwards, Tracy sneaks behind the bushes and i climb down to the ledge. I crouch down to keep myself from being seen and grip my water gun firmly in my hand. My heart races and yet an enjoyable thrill washes over me. I just hope nothing goes haywire.

Just then, i hear a voice. "Hello?" they call out. "Tracy Newman?"

"They're not here. I told you nobody dumb enough challenges someone at Lake Ankle."

"Then why would they send out that message. They're here. I know it."

The next voice i hear is Trent's "Nate." I hear a splash as assume he hit one.

"He's in the tree behind us!" one yells

"Dan," Trent commands again.

I stand up and see two guys turned around facing Nate as one is swiping his hands over his soaked shirt. I shoot at one as it hits the back of their leg as Trent rolls over and hits one from directly above.

"Goddamn it. That was a good one fellas," one of them say.

They eventually walk off and admit defeat we return to our positions and prepare for anymore. Thirty minutes go by and it's silent. None of us have moved. Some of it was still hopeful that someone would show and some of it worried that we'd be caught in the open if someone passes by.

"How you guys doing?" Trent whispers.

"I'm getting tired but still up for a little while longer," Tracy says with her voice hushed. "Nate? Daniel?"

"I'm good," I say.

"I'm actually pretty comfortable." He goes quiet for a second. "Someone's coming."

We all go silent. I can't make out how many there are but I just wait for Trent's que. Without a word, I hear somebody shoot.

"I'm gonna get you for that Nathan!" I hear a girl shriek.

I look up and see Nathan shooting at Wess. He would have hit his if he wasn't holding Harley in front of him.

"Nate! What the hell are you doing?!" Trent says while standing on his knees Wess looks up at him and reaches to his pocket. He pulls out a sky blue water balloon and slings it in Trent's direction. It lands square between Trent's eyes and forces him backwards. He tumbles of the ramada's roof and then off the ledge; he finally lands beside me. What grabbed my concern was the cracking sound I heard as he landed..

"Trent!" Tracy yells from the bushes. Wess runs with a soaking wet Harley taking everyone of Nate's shots.

I crouch over to Trent as Tracy walks up and huddles next to her twin brother. "Are you alright, Trent?"

He grunt is pain while holding his left arm tightly to his side. "I heard it break."

"Come on. Let's get out of here before anyone else shows." I get Nate and get him to help me guide Trent back to the explorer.

Code Nameजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें