XIII

As days go by, Tracy works up the concert more and more. I suppose Becca gave her my number because she's been texting me day in and day out. It's actually kinda sweet having her to talk to when nobody's around.

However, the dance approached and I drove to the twins' house. Tracy came running out the backyard's gate in tight blue jeans with a black tee with cuts on the side. It was much different than her usual modest look.

After she steps into the passenger seat, Trent approaches the car and leans on the window with his one good arm as Tracy rolls it down.

"Sorry I'm not going with you guys," he says. "Don't do anything stupid." He seems to look at Tracy when he says this. Probably just seeing it as his sister going away. It's actually kinda sweet if you think about it.

"I know. I know. I'm just as grown as you." She then turns to me. "Let's get going."

Within seconds, I pull out of their driveway and drive towards the tall buildings of Concrete City.

"So, Nate told you he'd meet us there?" I ask.

"Yup. He said he'll be waiting for us by the doors outside the theatre."

"Why did you want to see Blonde before the Weekend anyway? I didn't think you like anything Mike Burns was involved in."

"I don't like Mike. That's the thing. What I do like is their music. It's kinda like alternative rock and not too bad for a garage band. Hell, I think they're selling copies of their album, 2 and 2."

"Wait a second. They actually got somebody to give them a record deal?"

"No. They just burned their music onto a CD and gave it a fancy cover. Nothing too new."

Eventually, we are downtown and surrounded by tall buildings. Between a few, was the Apex Lounge. It was about two stories tall and had abstract designs painted along the white, brick walls. To the left of the building is a parking lot that is mostly full. Fortunately, I was able to find a spot. Tracy leaps out and walks with me confidently to the front door. Beside it is a sandwich board reading Blonde before the Weekend in yellow chalk.

As we enter inside, we step into a large hall with a room on either side. There's an arcade and game room to the right. It seems to contain small arcade games as well as a pool table, and small tables for board and card games. To the left is a small lounge. A few tables, armchairs, and tall tables are spread out with a snack bar window cut into one of the walls. The whole place has red carpet and beige walls with floor-to-ceiling windows looking out onto the streets and sidewalks outside.

Tracy just tugs my hand and leads me into the double doors across the hall that lead into the theatre. We walk into a slightly sloped floor with a flat stage with a large B.B.T.W. banner behind band equipment. A crowd over three hundred stands as there's no seats as Mike and Wess are playing onstage with the rest of their band. Part of me is concerned that Wess will catch me in the corner of his eye and pull out his blaster. Then I realize he and Mike are too busy entertaining the wild crowd. To my left is a smaller snack bar window than that outside. I think it actually leads into the same area as the one in the lounge. On the seal are custom band t-shirts and the CDs Tracy talked about.

As I'm lost in awe by the size of this place, Tracy grabs my hand and pulls me into the crowd dancing along to the music.

Even when things get a little crazy

Even when my thoughts are hazy

I'm thinking, Thinking maybe

I know you I know you

The band plays as everyone moves in rhythm to the beat. I find the music enjoyable but the lyrics seem cheesy and unoriginal. Nevertheless, I still look over my shoulder and look for anything suspicious. But something else pops into my head.

"We forgot about Nate," I tell Tracy.

She just dance away and brings herself a little closer to me. "What?"

"We didn't see Nate outside."

"Don't worry about him," she says while reaching out for my hands and pulling me in her direction. "The two of us will just have fun for tonight."

"Trace, what if--"

"What if we actually have a good time? Don't think about Nate, Trent, or Becca. I brought you here so you can have for yourself. Okay?"

It's only until she's done that I notice we're practically against one another. So close, that I can feel her cool breath on my face.

I slowly relax in hopes it'll break up the tension Tracy is building. The night goes on for another hour and a half as the two of us dance together as we lose track of where we are in the crowd. In the time we've been at the concert, Blonde before the Weekend has started to grow on me.

Eventually, Tracy and I go to the window to get two band shirts for each of us. Then, I decide to purchase the 2 and 2 CD for Trace as a gift for this amazing night.

"Here you go," I say handing her the case.

She takes it in her hand and looks it over. Without a word, she leans to me and holds me in for a kiss. I try to pull away but she pushes herself forward. This causes me to stumble backwards and be pinned on the wall.

"I'm sorry, Daniel," she says between smooches. "It's just that... I couldn't... You were so..." She never completes a thought as she's still caught up in her moment.

Then, I hear a familiar voice behind the snack bar. "Tracy?"

Tracy breaks the kiss as we both turn to see who it is. I'm shocked when I see Becca in the window with Josh by her side. What is really hard to look at is the tears welling up in eyes as she holds a devastated look.

"Becca," I begin. "We were just--"

Tracy stops me. "I got this, Daniel. It's my fault."

"What are you two doing here?" You can hear her fighting off her tears. "Especially you, Daniel. I told you--"

"Ladies and gentlemen," Mike begins through the microphone. "The night is over but we still have one surprise for our last set."

"Oh crap," Josh whispers. "Climb in."

"What's going on?" I asks.

"Just do it!" he says as he reaches out to grab Tracy and I and pull us over the counter.

Mike turns to somebody offstage. "Hit it!"