Chapter 18

Jasper's POV

Just when I thought Alexis was opening up to us, she teased me into asking a 21st question and then refused to answer it. Why? Did she know how much it bothered me when she would tell me small details but then refuse to tell me the whole story? She obviously did, judging by the amused look on her face.

"You did that on purpose." I accused my sister. Alexis looked at me as if I had said something incredibly obvious, like the sky is blue.

"Did it really take you that long to figure that out?" She asked before scoffing at me. "Come on Jasper. This won't be any fun if you can't keep up with my mockery."

I looked at her, but chose not to respond. She shrugged and started absentmindedly strumming on the guitar.

I felt Alice's eyes on me, but continued looking at Alexis, trying to figure her out. She reminded me of a game of cat and mouse. I was constantly chasing after her and the stories she kept hidden from me and she was constantly running away and dodging my questions. I was really starting to get sick of this, and it had only been a day.

I was too caught up in my thoughts to acknowledge Alice. I only realized she wanted to say something to me when she brushed her lips against my cheek before moving to whisper in my ear. The sudden contact caused me to jump slightly, amusing Alice and the rest of the family and causing Alexis to scoff and roll her eyes at me.

"Real smooth." She said before looking back down at the guitar.

"Instead of staring at her, why don't you actually try and talk to her?" Alice whispered.

"And what do you think I should say?" I whispered back.

"I'll tell you what Jasper. Ask me another question, an interesting one. Make me want to hold a conversation with you." She told me.

Is she serious?

Alexis' POV

Yeah, I was serious. As much as I'd rather not answer his questions, he does deserve some answers. Just not to the major questions. I'm nowhere near ready to do that.

Jasper stayed silent for a few seconds while the rest of the Cullens and I watched him.

"Why do you dye your hair black?" He asked. I looked at him for a couple seconds before laughing at him.

Really? I give him the chance to ask anything and he picks one of the easiest questions for me to answer. I guess Jasper isn't as smart as I remember him being.

"Of all the questions you could ask, you choose that one?" I asked while in the middle of my laughing fit. All the Cullens looked at me like I was insane.

"It was a valid question." Edward said, jumping to Jasper's defense.

"It really wasn't. I dye it because I like it better black." I explained to everyone.

"Why though? What color was it before?" Alice asked. I opened my mouth to answer her, but Jasper beat me to it.

"Brown. Chocolate brown. Right?" Jasper asked me. I looked at him with a confused expression on my face. He actually remembered that?

"Right. How'd you remember that?" I asked. Now it was his turn to look at me like I said something idiotic and obvious.

"We lived together, and saw each other everyday for at most of our lives. Obviously I would know what color hair you had." As he said that, a thought popped into my head.

"What color eyes did I have? When I was human, I mean." I asked Jasper.

"Blue. But in the right light they could look greenish."

Of course he would know that. Of course he would be able to bring up all the memories I've been suppressing for the last almost two centuries, just by mentioning the way my eye color changed in the sun. I looked away from him and focused on more recent memories, happier memories, in an attempt to stop the flood of muddy memories from my human life.

"Alexis!" Jasper said loudly. "Did you here me?"

"No," I answered. "I kinda zoned out. Sorry."

"I wanted to know why you asked." Jasper explained with confusion on his face. I shook my head, trying to clear all of my thoughts of the past.

"No reason, it's nothing. Just, no more questions."

Alice's POV

Alexis got up and handed the guitar in her hand to Nessie before heading upstairs without another word. I turned my head to look at Jasper, and felt horrible when I saw how torn up he looked.

These two were going to be the death of each other, and everyone around them, unless someone intervened. Rose was right, Alexis had secrets and I needed to know what they were. Not for my own entertainment like Rosalie, but so I could mend the broken relationship between my love and his sister.