New Year's- 10th Doctor X Reader

Hi guys!

So, it's 2016 now! Wow, that past year went fast. Happy New Year!

I was inspired by New Year's celebrations to write this quick oneshot. There will be a special Christmas one coming soon, but I need more time to work on it because I want it to be really beautiful and feels-y xD

I decided to do 10 X reader, since he's my favorite and easiest for me to write, but I will be glad to take requests for any other Doctors for this oneshot plot :D

Enjoy! :D

(Also- blanks "_____" mean reader's name.)

~ ~ ~

"Ah, here we are!" The Doctor exclaimed as he stepped out of the TARDIS, his long coat flapping against the doors behind him. "New Year's Eve, 1999—"

"In New York City?" ______ remarked, peeking out and proceeding out the doors to gaze around. "You've outdone yourself this time, Doctor."

"I have, haven't I?" He replied smugly, then seeing the look on her face, said, "I mean, em, thanks! Glad you like it."

______ looked about her: Times Square was bursting with excitement. Bright lights everywhere, people in winter coats and party hats and "2000" glasses. People were drunkenly shouting shouting joyful nonsense to their friends, others hugging their family to their sides to keep warm and out of love and happiness, of course. Cameramen filming the commotion for the people back home looked cold but content, surrounded by so much joyful noise. The place was decorated with colorful banners and signs with the words "new century," "new millennium," and, obviously, "Happy New Year!"

"What time is it?" asked _____, looking up at the Doctor. She realized that her hand had grown warmer, and looked down at it. Oh!— the Doctor had enclosed her hand with his own. How nice, ______ thought, as she blushed inwardly.

The Doctor looked around for the time on one of the glowing, lit-up, electronic boards on the surrounding buildings. "11:45. Almost midnight!"

"So what're we going to do until then?"

"We are going to get the best view in the place!" The Doctor turned to re-enter the TARDIS and pulled ______ behind him. "Come on!"

"Wait, we're already in the Square, so... why are we back in here?" she asked, confused.

The Doctor set some coordinates and pulled down a lever before answering. "Because," he replied in pretend annoyance, "haven't you ever wanted to see a city full of excited people— from way above?"

He grinned at her, and bounded towards the doors again. _______ shook her head, but followed with excited curiosity.

The Doctor stopped her at the door. "Close your eyes."

"What?" _____ laughed.

"Just do it! It will make it even more exciting!"

"Fine." Grinning like a fool, (the same as the Doctor), _____ covered her eyes with her hands. She felt the Doctor take put his hands on her shoulders, gingerly leading her to the edge to see from the new point of view. She felt a butterfly or two flutter slightly in her stomach as they approached, and she wasn't sure if it was all the excitement of the city on this special day, or the man presenting said excitement to her.

"Okay... open!"

Though she had just been down to that very place she was looking, _____ gasped. All of the jubilant people and their objects of celebration looked tiny from there— there being, of course, the top of a tall building that sat as one side of the Square. The Doctor and ______ could feel the excitement of the thousands-of-people crowd below rise up toward them with the cold wind, increasing their own adrenaline and anticipation.

"Hold on, is that the TARDIS down there?" asked ______ suddenly, pointing to a spot of blue in the Square.

The Doctor looked to where she pointed. "Yup," he replied with a smile, "I made sure we went back two minutes in time, so we wouldn't miss anything."

"But won't that cause a paradox?" She asked, her tone now serious. They watched as the two-minutes-past TARDIS materialized into disappearance, presumably after the Doctor decided to bring ______ to the top of the building that they were now on.

"It's a possibility, but it's a very small one. Pretty much all I did was move the TARDIS in space, and just a tiny bit back in time, that's all." He raised his voice a little louder in proclamation: "And besides, this is Times Square! Fifteen minutes from the turn of a year, decade, century, and millennium!" He turned to _______ with a smile. I think don't think time wants to mess with this night."

_______ smiled at the Doctor, then returned to looking below her. She felt elated, but relaxed, more than she had ever felt in her life. A year ago (in her own time), she would have been at home celebrating a boring, non-history-making New Year's, or she would have spent it with friends she only hung out with because she knew them better, not because they appreciated her very much. She was exceedingly glad to be away from that now, to be in Times Square, in New York City, during the last few minutes of 1900's! If she knew a year ago that something so wonderful would happen to her soon, she wouldn't have believed it. But it did. Life gets better.

"What're you thinking?" The Doctor asked her quietly. He was staring at her while she was thinking and looking below, she realized.

She turned to him, shaking her head and looking down, a happy little smile on her face. "Nothing, really."

"I watch you think a lot, ______, because your intelligence shows on your face!" He chuckled. "It's a lovely sight. And I've seen you make that face before. What're you thinking?" he repeated.

She looked the Doctor in the eyes, grinning now. He was her best friend, and she also loved him. She loved the places he took her, the experiences she had with him, but she also loved his kindness towards her, and his genuine care for all creatures. Oh, if he could only know how much she wanted to kiss him at that moment.

"I'm happy, that's all," she said, and it was true.

The Doctor smiled. "Good. That's what I was aiming to do."

Soon, the people below were chanting. "Thirty, twenty-nine, twenty-eight..."

The Doctor joined in. "Twenty-seven, twenty-six, twenty-five..."

...and therefore, ______ did too. "Twenty-four, twenty-three, twenty-two..."

In the last twenty-one seconds of 1999, both the Doctor and _______ made the same decision. Everyone knows what people in love (or at least, dating) do at the first second of the new year: they kiss. The Doctor made the first move, grabbing ______'s hand again with fast-beating hearts. She then made the second move, subtly pulling him closer to her. Then, at two seconds, they decided the same thing:

"I have to kiss her!"

"I need to kiss him!"

Finally, when "Happy New Year!" was shouted so loud it vibrated every ear in New York City, they turned toward each other and pressed lips, holding each other close, and smiling.

They pulled away after a half a minute or so of the New Year kiss.

"Well then," the Doctor said, practically giggling with giddiness, "Happy New Year, ______."

Her heart fluttering, she said, "Happy New Year, Doctor."

~ ~ ~

I hope you all liked that! I liked writing it.

Hopefully soon, I will update the Christmas chapter. It's gonna be really feels-y.

I'm also thinking about doing some Sherlock stuff, so look out for that. (I was inspired by the New Year's special- I've missed it so much!)

Thanks for reading! :)