18: Unlikely Friendships and Unlikely Ends

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Unlikely Friendships and Unlikely Ends

"We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love"

____

The field lies dark, quiet and empty just as night fell upon Beacon Hills High School. The air was cold enough that you could see your breath and the grass was the slightest bit frozen under the soles of Luna's shoes. She waited for a moment, still early it seemed until one by one the stadium lights burst on and illuminated the once-dark area.

The game clock reset to zero and soon an excited crowd began to fill the bleachers, charging the once-tense atmosphere into one of pure and unbridled anticipation.

Tonight marked the highly anticipated Beacon Hills Lacrosse State Championships—a monumental event for the team even after all of the recent news with Matt. And the frozen air was starting to become almost electric, the heavy cloud following Matt's death lifting once and for all. Months of tireless training had led up to this moment, and there was already a bet going on about whether the Coach would shed tears of joy or disappointment by the end of the night.

Luna was betting in favour of joy, choosing to believe that the team would pull through with the added motivation of wanting to end the year off on a good note.

After her session with Morrell, she was trying to find a positive outlook on things rather than becoming numb to it all. The team was gonna win and Luna was gonna celebrate and be happy.

But with either a win or a loss, Coach was gonna cry and maybe that would be enough for Luna to call it a successful endeavour.

She was also admittedly interested in lacrosse in general. Contrary to how she presented herself, she was actually pretty competitive and had actually contemplated joining a sports team at the school ever since freshmen year. The only issue was building up her clearly nonexistent stamina but that was what her goal for the summer was.

And once she completed that goal, she'd be able to join at the start of the season in September and she'll kick everyone's ass.

But aside from those reasons for attending, there was the small matter of wanting to see Scott and Stiles in action. Even if none of them were really on talking terms she was gonna cheer for them anyways.

She was especially looking forward to seeing a very sweaty Scott McCall in action.

But that was off the record.

Luna found herself seated next to Scott's mom a little higher up on the bleachers than she would usually go to. Usually, Luna would be near the benches but with it being cold, it was much nicer being next to Melissa so they could huddle up close together for shared warmth.