19: Awkward Encounters

CHAPTER NINETEEN: Awkward Encounters

"Whatever is begun in anger, ends in shame."

____

After being quickly debriefed by Isaac and Scott about how, of all people, Gerard Argent was the one controlling the Kanima, Luna ended up tagging along with the rest of the lacrosse team as they headed back to the locker room for questioning. Each player was asked basic questions by the Sheriff and deputies, but no one had any helpful answers about Stiles' whereabouts or what happened to Jackson.

The Sheriff let them all go with a sigh, leaving only Scott, Luna, and Isaac remaining. He turned to them, flipping the pages of his notepad, and Luna couldn't help but notice how his hands were a bit shaky. Clearly, he was trying to maintain his composure despite the anxiety he must be feeling with Stiles missing.

"I have to meet with the medical examiner and figure out what happened to Jackson, but I've got an APB out for Stiles." Sheriff Stilinski's voice was firm but wavered on Stiles' name, torn between his duty as a law enforcement officer that needed to deal with Jackson's sudden death and his concern for his son.

Because if he could, Luna would imagine he'd already be in his car with the lights on searching every street and corner in Beacon Hills until he found the boy.

"His jeep's still in the parking lot, which means... well, I don't know what it means," Stilinski muttered, exhaustion evident in his voice. "If he answers his phone or email or if any of you see him—" Stilinski began, only to be interrupted by Isaac.

"We'll call you." Isaac smiled weakly.

"Guys," the man sighed, his hand coming up to run across his head the same way Stiles did when he was nervous. "After everything that's happened lately..." He trailed off.

"Look, he's probably just freaking out from all the attention or something. We'll find him." Scott said, doing his best to reassure him. He glanced at Luna and Isaac as if trying to also reassure them as well.

Both Luna and Isaac nodded along, showing nothing but support in front of the Sheriff. The three teens were trying to save face but it was hard when the man was so distraught and clueless about everything that they had to keep a secret from him.

The Sheriff only knew that Stiles was missing.

But they knew that Gerard was the one behind the kidnapping and was using Stiles as leverage.

The Sheriff was thinking worst case scenario of Stiles being dead, but Scott was fairly confident that Gerard wouldn't kill a regular human.