Chapter 21 - Finally

As expected, I stayed up all night. Mom was fast asleep while I laid awake, a slave to my never ending thoughts. Did he ever try to text me? I wouldn't know since I blocked his number a while ago. I was tempted to unblock him and ask if he was awake, but I knew it would make things worse.

Knowing Yejun, especially after our encounter today, he also was awake. He's probably staring up at his ceiling wondering what his life has become.

That bastard Korean.

I laid over and closed my eyes.

--

March 2nd

I woke up before the alarm.

My eyes lazily stared up at the ceiling, practically begging me to close them. A sigh left my mouth as my alarm went off. I hummed along with the tune and turned it off.

Today is my birthday.

I got out of bed and headed for the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and grabbed the black soap to wash my face. I rubbed it deep into my pores and washed it off with warm water. As I opened the bathroom door, I came face to face with Mom.

"Happy birthday."

I let go of the handle and sighed. "Thanks Mom."

"So when do you plan on moving out of my house? You're a grown ass woman now, you're not paying any bills, you're just here taking up space." Every word she spat irked me. I tightened my fists and walked past her.

"Don't walk past me little girl!" She yelled as she grabbed my shoulder. I shrugged her off and turned to face her. I didn't realize I was preparing myself to punch her in the face until my fist was slightly raised.

"Oh, so you wanna hit me now?!" I blankly stared at her. "You step past me almost every day and only say hello to me! You come home late, you're probably out there fucking some man you little slut, and now you wanna hit me?!"

I realized I couldn't exactly deny what she said. Yejun and I did have our times. Am I really what she said I would become? Am I a slut now? I realized she was still screaming. Why must she do this? I avoid her just for this, yet she always brings it back into my face.

"-you're the reason why your father left, you have no manners, n-"

I blocked out everything she said after. I stared at her as if she had two heads. I hate how she knows the perfect thing to say to get the perfect reaction.

"No. You're the reason why Dad left. Nobody wants to be with someone who only screams at people for no reason." She came closer to my face and I fought the urge to shove her.

"Who the fuck are you talking to like that, you nasty little bitch?!" She yelled. I rolled my eyes and turned away. "So you think you're a big woman now?! You wanna roll your eyes?! Let me tell you something! You will never have a man, no man wants a dirty fat bitch like you!"

I went into my room and slammed the door. She tried to open it, but I locked it. I sat on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. My backhand rested on my forehead, her words echoing through my mind.

'You're the reason why your father left!' I'm not. It's her fault, he said it many times. It's not my fault.

It's not.

--

"Happy birthday Len!" The squad faced me with giant smiles stretched across their faces. I can't let this morning's encounter phase me. They all hugged me and we sat down on the stairs.

Kat reached into her bag and pulled out a giant turtle plush. "How the hell did this fit in your bag?!" I laughed. She handed it to me and gave me a card. "Thank you bum!" I laughed. I attempted to open the card, but the turtle plush was too huge. I gave it to Kat for a second and opened the card.