Part 24

Chapter 24

He tightened his grip on her hand once more before forcing himself to loosen it.  With the smile that she sent him as they walked down the hall behind her ex, he knew that she didn’t mind how tightly he held her hand, as long as he held it.  That was the problem.  The longer they followed Greg, the further they went into this building, the tighter he wanted to hold her. 

Now that they were finally in front of the person that Amy had loved, now that they stood here near the person that had hurt her so badly, her brother’s words were flying through his head.  She forgave too easily, loved too much, and was the most heartfelt person any one would ever hope to meet.  His free hand reached up, rubbing at his chest as he forced himself to keep from pulling her away from her ex.  What would he do if she did forgive Greg?  What would he do if he had to sit there and watch as the two of them reconciled?  He wasn’t sure he’d be able to do it, wasn’t sure if he’d ever be able to let go of her, not when he had just decided that he wanted nothing but to hold on.

Her shoulder bumped into his, making him glance over and down.  The smile she sent him had his nerves dying down and an answering smile falling onto his face.  The warmth in her eyes reminded him of the first time he had saw her.  Even with the fear masking her expression, even with the worry over who he was clouding her mind, she had stared at him with those caring green eyes, and at that moment, he knew what type of person she was, and that was exactly why he wanted to drag her from this office as fast as he could.

“You okay?” she whispered, but by the way that Greg glanced at them over his shoulder, Jaxon knew the other man had heard her words.

He ignored the man they were following as he turned towards Amy.  “I thought I was the one who was supposed to ask that question.”

The smile on his face was genuine and by the flash of happiness in her eyes, so was hers.  The only question was why she was happy.  Why had the nervousness that had hovered around her suddenly disappeared as soon as Greg had walked into her sight?

“I’m good,” she said, still trying to keep her voice as light as she could.  When he still didn’t say a word, she laughed.  “Honestly, when I came here, I didn’t know what to expect, but now that I’m here, I wonder why I put this off for so long.”

“Here’s my office,” Greg interrupted, keeping Jaxon from asking the questions that were floating through his mind.  “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather speak alone?”

Amy rolled her eyes at the man, and a small smile pulled up the corner of Greg’s mouth as if he had expected the action from her.  That small expression, that small movement from Greg reminded Jaxon just how long the two of them had been together, just how much they had shared, and just how much they had loved one another.  The only thing he could hope for now was that it was all in the past, that the feeling she felt so strongly for the doctor were now gone.

“I’m positive,” she answered as she stepped around Greg and pulled Jaxon in behind her.  “Anything you have to say, you can say in front of Jaxon.”

Greg shut the door behind them and let out a small, almost sad chuckle.  “You must have known this guy for a long time.”

Jaxon frowned at the two of them when Amy froze and Greg looked at her as if she were to blame for everything.  “We just met a couple of days ago,” Jaxon said in confusion.  “She’s the most open and honest person that I’ve ever met.”

A snort left Greg’s mouth as he plopped down in his chair.  “So she tells you all of her secrets, does she?  When the two of us were together, I’d have to pry for weeks just to get her to tell me the small things.”