Part 12

Chapter 12

“Cozy.”

Jaxon jumped at the voice, but managed not to push Amy away from him like a teenager caught making out on his parent’s couch.  He had nothing to feel guilty about, holding her in his arms, but the way that Logan was looking at him made him feel like he was doing something wrong.  Glancing down at the top of her head, his eyes met nothing but those long red waves that she tried throwing on top of her head earlier.  It hadn’t worked.  Her hair seemed just as determined to escape the confines of the bun, as Amy was to keep the mass secured.  He wished she would let it down, let it flow down her back like she had that first time he saw her. 

His hand drifted towards the clip holding her hair back, but before he could ease the thing from her hair, a loud boom made him jerk back.  Staring at the man who had caused the noise, Jaxon shook his head as Logan feigned an innocent expression.  If there was one thing that he had learned about Logan in the short amount of time that he had known the man it was that he never did anything on accident.  Logan had everything planned, knew every detail of everyone’s life.  It was something that frightened Jaxon, if he were going to be honest with himself.  Logan already had the files, and Jaxon hoped that it would be enough to keep the man from digging a little deeper. 

The hand that had been moving towards the back of her head dropped onto her back.  As he rubbed circles between her shoulder blades, Jaxon let his mind run wild.  He had given them the most important evidence, everything that would bring down that ring of criminals, something that plenty of cops had tried to do over the years.  However, he refused to give them the one thing he was holding back.  He knew it wouldn’t look good if they were ever to find out he was withholding evidence, but he couldn’t allow them to use it.  His parents had already been through too much, letting the world see this would crush them.

Amy’s arms tightened around him, bringing him back to the present.  As she eased away from him with a smile, Jaxon caught his breath slightly.  Even with the dark circles under her eyes, the slight sadness in them, they were the most brilliant shade of green he had ever seen.  When he had first seen those eyes, he had wanted to ask her if she wore contacts, but as soon as he had gotten to know Amy, he knew she wasn’t the type.  She didn’t put up fronts to make her more desirable.  If anything, the woman went to small lengths to hide her beauty.

A throat cleared, and it took Jaxon a moment to realize that it was Logan who had made the noise.  Hadn’t the man left the room already?  By the glare on Logan’s face, it was obvious that Amy’s brother hadn’t made a move and didn’t plan on it until his baby sister was safely away from Jaxon.  He couldn’t blame the man, not with recent events still heavy in the air. 

“So, you told him?” Logan said, smiling as Amy completely eased out of Jaxon’s arms.

Amy glanced towards him for a moment before shrugging.  “I told him the important parts.”

“Amy,” Jaxon and Logan said simultaneously.  Logan paused for a moment, his eyes narrowed on Jaxon before making an odd gesture and shaking his head.  Figuring that the man was going to let him speak first, Jaxon straightened slightly on the couch.  “Tell me the rest later,” he said, surprising them all.  “When you’re ready.”

“I’ll be damned,” Logan muttered with a small chuckle.  “Well, Amy.  I was going to say the same.”

She smiled at the two of them, her eyes filling with laughter and not the sadness from earlier.  “It looks like you two have more in common than I thought.”

“We have nothing in common,” Jaxon protested, his words punctuated by Logan’s nod.

“Whatever you say,” Amy said in a singsong voice as she jumped up from the couch.