Part 3

Chapter 3

It was the chill that woke her.  Her teeth chattered together, her arms were wrapped around her body, but it was the draft of the cold that had finally made her open her eyes.  With a groan, she sat up on the couch, realizing that the small blanket she had attempted to wrap around her body earlier was now lying on the floor.  Her clothes, which were meant for her place back home, did nothing to stop the cold from seeping into her skin, from chilling her to the core.  Goosebumps covered her arms and legs, but Amy had a hard time believing those were from the chill. 

It was quiet, almost too quiet for her liking.  When she had stayed there as a child, there had always been noises.  Her father had once told her that when you were in the snow, even leaves falling to the ground sounded like an avalanche, and even though there was no snow coating the ground outside, Amy knew that there should be at least some noises.  She was in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods that were filled with all sorts of creatures.

Her mind centered on one creature in particular.  Even when the banging had stopped, even when she had finally turned the radio down, she knew he was out there.  She couldn’t bring herself to leave her spot on the couch, not even long enough to change into something more warm.  Moving would have meant giving up her watchful eye on the door, but she had fallen asleep.  The error in her actions hit her hard.  She wasn’t fit for this.  As sad as it was to say, she was out of her league.  She had always told herself she was a strong person. 

She could have been married by now, the only stipulation her parents had about giving Amy her inheritance.  If she had married, she wouldn’t have had to worry about anything.  Hell, even now Amy could simply move out of her little apartment and move in with her parents.  They wouldn’t like it, had always taught their children to earn what they had, but they would take her back.  There, she would be pampered just as she was growing up.  There wasn’t a single person in that household who disliked her.  They had all taken Amy under their wings, knowing that she was going to be the baby, the only O’Neal girl.

She didn’t go back though.  Even when things in her life had gone downhill, she hadn’t cowered.  Her head had always stayed high, even when people had tried to push her down.  Strong people don’t run, she told herself, and when have I ever ran from my problems?

New resolve straightened her spine.  With shaky fingers, she reached down and grabbed the discarded blanket.  With a quick motion, she wrapped it tightly around her shoulders.  Even though she knew she was stalling, she walked towards the fireplace.  At least her uncle had stocked it before he left.  The thought sent a smile to her face.  Reaching down and flicked the switch that ignited the flames.  It seemed that even in his solitude, her uncle had small luxuries.  She stood there for a moment, letting the heat warm her shaking hands.  The warmth settled into her body, allowing her to momentarily forget the coldness that seeped in from the night. 

Her eyes darted towards the door. There was no more reason to wait.  She couldn’t put it off for any longer.  Reaching down blindly, her hand gripped the fire poker propped up against the wall.  Her footsteps were quiet as she made her way towards the door, but she was sure that the man on the other side could hear the sound of her heart beating against her chest.  This time, when chills broke out against her skin, she knew for a fact that it wasn’t because of the chill.  She was simply scared.  The one with the quick attitude in the family was scared. 

Her free hand reached towards the deadbolt, and as it did, the blanket fell from her shoulders.  Taking a deep breath, she turned it and winced as the sound echoed through the quiet night.  This was stupid.  How idiotic could she be?  She had watched all the movies.  The people who went to investigate the noises, who went to see what the danger was, were always the first to die.  The thoughts didn’t stop her.  Reaching towards the door, she turned the lock on it before turning the knob in her hand.