Part 2

Chapter 2

Gravel crunched under the tires as she made her way up the incline towards her uncle’s cabin.  Letting out a sigh, she rolled the window down to allow the cold, crisp air to flow into her car.  This was the life.  She could feel all her worries float away as if they did not exist.  There was no doubt in her mind that her week, maybe two week, vacation would be relaxing. Her father and mother knew where she was, but both were sworn into secrecy.  Amy just prayed that her father really could keep silent, and when she woke up the next morning, her brother’s wouldn’t be waiting on the small wooden porch surrounding her uncle’s cabin.

She knew that the men currently in her life only meant to make sure she was safe and secure, but for the past year, they had been overcrowding her.  Amy’s mother had understood though, and it was the woman herself who had brought up staying at Uncle Bernie’s cabin in the middle of nowhere.  Her mother always said that the best way to deal with something was to let everything else slip from your mind and focus on it.  That was what Amy was going to do.  She was going to forget that her brothers were probably going insane with worry because she did not arrive at their beach house; she was going to forget that she still needed to ready herself for the new school year.  The only thing that mattered was Amy.  For once, she was going to be selfish.  She was going to take whatever time she needed, and she was going to ignore everyone else.

A gust of wind flew through her window, making her thoughts come to an abrupt end as the cold made her shiver.  Rolling up the window, her hand flipped the heater on.  At least her mother had reminded her to pack some jackets.  Too bad she hadn't thought to put one on.  Her Uncle Bernie’s cabin may be secluded, inviting, and beautiful, but, at night, temperatures dropped, making it one of the coldest places Amy had ever visited.  She glanced up, noticing that the sun was soon going to disappear.  The moon would take its place, and Amy knew that she would be freezing if she didn’t make it to the cabin by then.

Her luck must have been looking up, because as she rounded one last sharp curb, her uncle’s cabin came into view.  A large smile spilled across her cheeks, as a small, excited sigh fell from her lips.  She was finally there, finally somewhere where she could be alone.  Easing her car next to the truck already parked in front of her Uncle’s mountain cabin, Amy threw her car into park and jumped out as quickly as she could.  Taking a deep breath, she rubbed her hands over her cold arms for a moment, trying to bring warmth into them.

“Amy!” a happy voice yelled from the open cabin door.

With a smile, Amy waved towards the cabin, even if she could not see the person who was speaking.  She recognized that voice, and if she were right, her Uncle Bernie would be bounding out of his cabin any minute now.  Still, she didn’t wait on the man.  Instead, she opened her back seat and pulled out her two suitcases.  Before they could even connect with the rocky driveway, a hand gripped them.

“I got them,” her uncle told her while prying them from her grip.  “Come on in.  I was only cleaning it for you.”  He began walking towards the cabin, but Amy knew he wanted to say more.  As he stopped walking, she braced herself for his next words.  “I know you’ve been through a lot this past year.  I just want to let you know that if I can do anything to help, let me know.”

Amy smiled at the genuine, caring tone he used.  She knew that he wanted to help, but didn’t know how.  “I’m going to be honest, Uncle Bernie,” she said as she walked passed him and into the cabin.  “My life has always been easy, and I guess that’s what made the past year so hard for me, but you are helping.  Letting me stay in your cabin away from all the noise that is my family helps more than you can ever know.”

Turning towards him, she held her hand out for her suitcases.  With a smile, her uncle handed them over.  “Good to hear,” he mumbled before gesturing towards his cabin.  “It’s not much, definitely not what you’re used to staying in.”