Part 9

Chapter 9

“He’s wearing Dad’s shirt.”

Jerking up in her bed, she clutched the sheet to her chest while glancing towards the voice.  Logan stood there, a blank expression on his face, but Amy knew that he was a little upset.  It showed in the way he crossed his arms over his chest, the way he glanced at Jaxon, who was standing on the other side of her bed.  She glanced over at the man, noticing that he was also standing in the same defensive pose as her brother.  Letting out a sigh, she plopped back onto the bed and threw the sheet over her head.  There was no way that she wanted to face the two of them at that moment.  Not when she was sure it was still dark outside, and that as soon as she got up, they’d both question her until she broke.

“Amy,” Jaxon said in a voice that reminded her too much of her brother’s.  “Why didn’t you tell me he’d be here?”  He paused for a moment, and to her surprise, started to chuckle.  “Is that why you agreed so quickly with me last night?  You didn’t want to tell me your brother would be here?”

She brought the sheet down slightly, only allowing her left eye to show.  Staring at Jaxon, she made sure the man was smiling before letting the same expression fly onto her face.  “I didn’t want you worry,” she mumbled, only telling him half the truth.  To be honest, she had thought she wouldn’t have to tell him at all.  Logan wasn’t supposed to arrive until later in the day.  By then, she could have hid Jaxon, saving them all from an extremely awkward situation. 

The sheet that had been covering her face was snatched off her body, and she let out a groan.  Turning a glare on her brother, she froze when she saw the tick in his cheek.  It was their one clue that Logan was going to snap, the only clue the man gave before he did something she was sure he would later regret.  She followed his glare, noticing it was on Jaxon, not that the man would know.  His eyes were directly on her legs.  The sheet was thrown back over her, and she quickly jerked it off.

Scrambling to the end of the bed, she barely had enough time to place a hand on her brother’s chest before he jumped towards Jaxon.  Logan stopped as he looked down at her hand.  The look in his eyes said it all.  He wanted her to move, but wouldn’t risk doing anything to hurt her.  Which meant at that exact moment, Jaxon was safe.  She turned towards him and rolled his eyes. 

“You both act as if you’ve never seen a girl’s legs before.”

“They’re your legs,” they both said, but with the way Logan glared at Jaxon, she had a feeling they meant the words in two different ways.

Fighting the flush that was rising up her neck, she tugged on the bottom of her dad’s old shirt, and Jaxon finally glanced up at her.  His eyes went from hers to where her hand was holding back her brother.  He tensed, before something flashed in his eyes.  Glancing down at his shirt, a small smile fell onto his face as Amy felt confusion fall onto hers.  “This is your dad’s shirt?” he asked.

“Yes,” she said slowly, wondering if Logan hadn’t already hit the man over the head.

Jaxon reached down and tugged on the sweat pants he wore.  “These your dad’s too?”

She shook her head at him, and when the smile began to drop, she blurted, “They’re my uncle’s.”