Part 14

Chapter 14

A laugh escaped her lips before she could shut her mouth.  Spencer’s eyes narrowed at her, but the corner of his lips twitched.  Whether they did so because he thought his suggestion was ridiculous also, Amy didn’t have a clue, but she did know one thing, they would never be able to just take Jaxon’s flash drive.

“We can’t,” she said between laughs as she shook her head at Spencer.

Spencer crossed his arms over his chest, an eyebrow rising in question.  It was the same expression he always gave her when he was trying to talk her into doing something, and even though she knew that expression, he had always succeeded in making her do whatever it was that he wanted her to.  “You afraid?”

Her laughter stopped instantly.  “I’m not afraid,” she said, narrowing her eyes slightly.  “Neither of those men in there will let the flash drive out of their sight.”

“You’re saying that you couldn’t distract one of those men long enough to grab it?”  His eyebrows scrunched together for a moment before he shook his head.  “Never mind that, I’ll do the distracting.”  He mumbled something under his breath that sounded a lot like a death wish before glancing at the door.  “Which one of them has it?  Logan will be the easiest to distract.”

Amy rolled her eyes.  “Did you forget his background?  He sees everything, and you know that.  Jaxon would be easier to distract.”

Spencer was shaking his head before she could even finish her words.  “Jaxon doesn’t trust me like Logan does.  He’ll be the one watching my every move, while Logan is the one who watches your every move.”

“None of this matters if we don’t know which one has it,” she reminded, making Spencer groan in frustration.  Walking towards her, he plopped down on the chair beside the bed.  A loud cracking noise echoed through the room, making Spencer immediately jump from his seat.

“Oh shit,” he whispered as he picked up the blanket he had been sitting on.  “Logan is going to kill me.”  Spencer grabbed the laptop and quickly eased it open.  “If everything looks good,” he said before glancing up at her, “we don’t tell him I sat on it.”

“He’s going to kill you,” she taunted, even though she knew Spencer did nothing that Logan couldn’t fix.  “You know how he is about his technology.”

Spencer ignored her as he frowned at the computer screen.  His fingers flew over the keys before he frowned harder.  She watched has his fingers moved to the mouse pad, but at this angle, she couldn’t see what he was looking at.  She may not have been able to see it, but as soon as the audio began playing, she knew what he was viewing.  Jumping off the bed, she stepped towards him before slamming the laptop shut.  He moved his hand back just in time, but the look that he sent her said that he wasn’t going to let her actions go unquestioned.

“What in the hell was that?”

Grabbing the laptop off his lap, she shook her head at him.  “Those are personal.”