Part 11

Chapter 11

Taking a deep breath, Amy let the cool, morning air fill her lungs.  How long had it been since she started her vacation?  Just two days ago, but it felt like forever.  Already, she was beginning to forget the small worries she had back at home, but then again, she had made sure the major responsibilities were taken care of.  Her dog was staying with her parents, something she wished she wouldn’t have allowed.  Her mother had been the one to convince Amy to leave her dog, most likely because her mother wanted to spoil the thing to no end.  Her bills for the entire month were paid off; thanks to the small check she had just received to announce the end of the school year.  So, she was allowed to forget the things that usually plagued her. 

The only problem was that where those worries left, new ones formed.  Even if she wanted to have a stress free couple of weeks, where she only had to worry about fixing her problems, she couldn’t.  As soon as she made the decision to help Jaxon, the peacefulness was snatched from her plans.  She wouldn’t go back on her word, not when she knew Jaxon was the same man she had wanted to help from the beginning.  He had made bad choices in his life, had done horrible things, but could she blame him? 

A small part of her did.  A small part of her wanted to demand why he didn’t save those people, why he would allow that man in the suit and all the others to do what they did.  Another part of her realized that if he had tried to stop them then, he wouldn’t be here now.  She wouldn’t have even known about the horrors he faced, about those men who were on his videos, and they would have kept doing the harmful things that they were doing.  With Jaxon’s evidence, they would be put away; something that most likely wouldn’t happen if Jaxon had gotten himself killed trying to save another.

The man’s pleading eyes flashed in Amy’s mind, making her take another breath of the cool air surrounding her.  She shouldn’t blame Jaxon for his actions.  Undercover cops did the same to keep their cover.  Hell, Logan himself had done worse on his tour.  She knew he did by the haunted look that would shadow his eyes, the way he kept everyone’s questions at bay by only telling them the humorous parts of his time away.  How could she think any differently of Jaxon when she accepted Logan without question?

It’s different, she told herself, but knew it was a lie.  Just because Jaxon was a stranger and Logan was her brother, it didn’t change the facts.  Jaxon was a good man.  In the small amount of time she had known him, that was clear.  He went after the people who harmed his brother with passion that even she admired.  When was the last time she had felt that strongly about anything?  Felt so passionate about something that she was willing to put her life on the line for it?  Never.

Logan had his computers, Asher his firm, Carson his cases, and hell, even Spencer put his life on the line every time he went surfing.  She stuck with kindergarteners, what could be safer than that?  She saw her brothers’ eyes light up each time they talked about their careers.  Even with Asher working himself to complete exhaustion every day, he was still passionate about his job.  She loved her children, but was teaching what she wanted to do for the rest of her life?  Could she see herself being happy with her career, no matter where it took her?

A door slammed, making her jump slightly.  The arms that were wrapped around her body eased as she stood from her seat on the small porch.  She glanced at the black car parked next to hers and her brother’s and berated herself for not paying more attention.  How could the Marshal have drove up without her hearing?  She had been so caught up in her own thoughts that only the sound of his slamming door had brought her back to reality.

Attempting to put a smile on her face, she knew she failed when the Marshal frowned at her.  “Get any sleep?” he called out as he walked closer towards her.