5.

CHAPTER | FIVE

I drummed my fingernails on the counter. I glanced at the clock and sighed. It was only five o'clock. Javon wouldn't be home for another two hours.

I looked at my phone that lay on the side, screen blank. I ran my tongue over my teeth and decided to check how Drakon was doing with his math homework. I turned off the lights of the kitchen and headed towards the living room.

The living room had to be the biggest room of the house. Upon entering, there was a long comfy brown couch, a matching love seat, and the big red chair. It was placed in a way that it formed a rectangle in the middle of the living room with light brown circle tables on the ends of the long couch. In front of it was the un-used fireplace and above that was a flat screen TV. To the left were the windows with the black and white patterned curtains pulled slightly to one side. To the right was a bookcase filled with books, movies, CDs, records, and a couple of photographs.

I spotted Drakon lying on his stomach in front of the fireplace, tapping his pencil to the side of his head. I climbed over the couch and rolled over until I was right next to him, shoulder to shoulder.

"How's it going?" I asked in a sign-song voice.

Drakon dropped his head on top of his textbook, groaning loud. "I hate math."

I mimicked his movements and groaned just as loud. "Me, too."

He raised his head and thumped the pencil lightly on my head. "I'm serious, mom. I hate math."

I turned to the side and opened one eye. "I'm serious, too. In fourth grade, I was about to be held back because of my sucky math grades. My mama sent me to tutoring."

Drakon scrunched up his nose in distaste. "Ugh, tutoring. That's a waste of time, mom."

"Not really. It saved my butt. Maybe we should sign you up for tutoring." I suggested.

Drakon groaned again. "I don't wanna go."

"Do you want to understand it or not?"

"Not."

"Drakon, I'm being serious."

Drakon glanced at his notebook and textbook. He chewed on his lip and flipped the page over and then back. "I guess we could...try."

I smiled and ruffled his hair. "Tomorrow afterschool, I'll ask your teacher."

Drakon nodded and I leaned over to get a good look at what he exactly he had trouble with. I started reading the multiplication word problem when the phone started ringing.

"That must be your papa." I said, pushing myself up and entering the kitchen.

Without turning on the light or checking the caller ID, I picked up the phone. "Hey, honey. Are you on your way?"

I was answered with panting. I paled and quickly hung up the phone. I ripped the cable off and backed away. The panic started to swell up, my palms sweating, the hair on the back of my neck rising, my heart pounding hard against my ribcage.

I grabbed my phone I left on the counter and dialed Javon. I chewed on my fingernail as I waited to hear his voice, but all I got was his voicemail. I let out a small cry and was about to dial again when I heard Drakon scream.

I jerked my head upright and dropped my phone. I ran to the living room just as Drakon ran out of the living room. We bumped into each other and I fell backwards with Drakon on top.

He looked up, his eyes wide. "Mom!"

My eyes trailed behind him and I spotted Javon standing by the doorway of the living room, caught off guard with his suitcase and sweater dropped by the front door.