24.

CHAPTER | TWENTY-FOUR

"Drakon!" I called, pausing to listen, but I could only hear my heart beating loud in my ears.

I looked up and saw Tristian up on a tree, gripping a branch as he stood up to look around. He called for Drakon much louder than I did, but we heard nothing.

Tristian glanced down, shaking his head. My hands shook as I pointed the flashlight everywhere and called for Drakon, my voice wavering a bit. I reached up to rub my throat as my voice started to get hoarse. I cleared my throat and Tristian easily climbed down the tree, standing next to me.

"We'll find him." He said, trying to sound hopeful for my sake.

I swallowed the lump down my throat and only managed to nod. Tristian squeezed my shoulder and we continued going forward, calling out for Drakon, but we were answered with silence.

I was starting to get desperate as we went deeper into the woods. I could feel the panic swell to the point where I felt like I was choking on it. I couldn't breathe right. I couldn't stop the shaking on my hands and legs. I couldn't stop wiping away my tears that kept blurring my vision.

And worst was that I couldn't stop the petrifying thoughts that kept resurfacing after I countlessly tried to convince myself that Drakon was okay, that he was safe somewhere.

Yet there were images in my head of Drakon lying somewhere dead or seriously injured. What if he couldn't get up to be seen? What if he was unconscious somewhere we had walked by? What if he fell off a cliff? What if a larger animal got to him first before I could? What if someone grabbed him?

I stopped and leaned on a tree, shaking my head as if the thoughts could physically slip out of my ears. My throat tightened and my hand clutched my shirt over my racing heart.

What if it was too late? What if those boys did something to him? I looked up and my eyes widen.

There was Drakon, hanging lifelessly on a tree. I cried out and fell back. My hands fell into something wet and I looked down. My hands were covered in blood and I could hear an angry snarl.

I snapped my head to the side to see an animal dragging a body away. My heart stopped to see Drakon's eyes staring at me, wide and frightened. My hands flew to my mouth when I heard a voice behind me.

I jumped and turned around. Someone was forcing someone over their shoulder as the other cried out for help. They stepped into the moonlight and Drakon was tied up, his arms and legs swinging and hitting at his kidnapper's back as he looked up. His tearful eyes locked on mine and his hand was held out towards me.

I muffled my sobs as I did a full three-sixty. At every turn, there was Drakon with his throat slit or Drakon being eaten by an animal.

I closed my eyes, my hands covering my ears.

Stop it!

"Mommy! Help me!" Drakon cried out, but I only squeezed my eyes tighter.

No more!

"Varia! Hey, Varia, look at me." Tristian said, kneeling in front of me and grabbing a hold of my chin, forcing me to look at him.

My eyes locked with his blank, covered eyes and I felt something escape my eyes, sliding down my cheeks. I looked up at the tree then to the side and behind me. Drakon was not there, nor the rope or the animal or a man. I held my hands up. There was no blood, but only mud.

"Varia, what's wrong?" Tristian asked, grabbing my chin again.

I struggled to find my voice and only sobbed, shaking my head. Tristian pulled me into his arms, burying his face into my neck as I sobbed into his.