27.

CHAPTER | TWENTY-SEVEN

"We should call the authorities. This isn't safe." Tristian insisted as I tugged on my rain boots.

"I know it isn't," I admitted, grabbing my raincoat and then glanced down at the picture that sat on the coffee table, "But Drakon is there. I need to go and see for myself."

Tristian shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "You could call them to check it out for you."

I tore my eyes away from the picture and met Tristian's mask. "What if this is my only chance, my only lead? Tristian, we haven't heard or seen anything about Drakon. Not even a footprint or a hair. What if I blow it by calling the police?"

"What if this is a trap?" Tristian returned, clenching his hands.

I nibbled on my lower lip. This could be a trap. No one just leaves something like that on anyone's front door. This was meant for me to go there. This wasn't an act of surrender or a clue to the hidden treasure.

Something was going to happen. Something that made my stomach twist in knots the more I thought about it.

I glanced up at Tristian and swallowed hard. If I was going to go there, guns blazing, I might as well bring someone.

"Come with me," I began and Tristian stood up right at that, "It's raining. I'm pretty sure no one is out there, so no one will see you."

"You can't be serious?" Tristian sputtered out, "What if someone is looking out the window?"

I frowned and looked around. I spotted an umbrella and picked it out, opening it up and almost hitting Tristian who dodged it. I gave him the umbrella and he very reluctantly took it.

"Use this as a shield. And with your hood on, I'm pretty sure no one will get a good look." I added.

Tristian stared at the umbrella and then back at me. He didn't want to go, but I knew he didn't want me to go alone and there was no one else who could go. Javon was in the city and probably wouldn't even make it without driving into a ditch with these weather conditions.

Tom meowed, catching our attention as he rubbed up against Tristian's worn out boots. He seemed to notice Tristian's discomfort as he sat down in front of him, his head tilted back to stare.

My frown deepened as they seemed to be having a conversation by the way they stared at each other until Tom got up and hopped on the couch, sniffing it before claiming his spot and sat.

"I know I'm asking for too much and it's okay if you don't want to go—" I started to say, but Tristian shook his head.

"I'll go... Just stay close to me. Please." He added, gripping the umbrella tightly to emphasize his discomfort.

I nodded, secretly finding it amusing he was scared of going to town without me. I grabbed the picture and my phone and locked everything up before we headed out to the bar.

The instant we stepped out of the house, the rain slapped at our faces, making me grimace as I struggled to keep my hood on. Tristian held the umbrella in front of us to stop the rain from hitting us. I rubbed my eyes and the wind shifted, blowing hard from behind us.

I yelped as the strong wind pushed us forward and Tristian almost slipped. I gripped on his arm and Tristian held on the umbrella for dear life as the wind howled.

As we rounded the corner towards the bar, a car drove by. Tristian quickly hid his face with the umbrella and my heart started to beat wildly in my chest as the car slowed down. I hurried, pulling Tristian along as he tried to hang back and run the other direction.