23.

CHAPTER | TWENTY-THREE

Drakon and I threw ourselves on the couch with a loud sigh. If that wasn't the most awkward lunch I ever had, I'd hate to see what would top that.

When Drakon spotted Javon standing to me, he was surprised though it only lasted for a second before confusion settled in. I knew he was dying to ask me what his father was doing in town, but we never had a moment alone as Javon hovered nearby.

Javon invited us to eat at our favorite pizzeria restaurant which Drakon and I found it hard to decline the offer. From the time we entered to the time we left, people stared. As said before, it was no secret that Javon and I separated on bad terms. Even the staff gave me an odd look to which I only averted my eyes.

We mostly ate in silence with Drakon peering up at us from time to time. He sat next to me and only gave short answers to whatever question Javon threw his way.

"Is dad going to stay here?" Drakon asked, cutting the long silence at last.

"No. He's staying at the motel." I replied, reaching up to run my hand through my hair.

"Oh." Drakon nibbled on his lip and pushed himself off the couch. "Why is he here?"

"Just to check on me." I lied, not wanting to upset Drakon. He didn't know Belle at all, but if I was upset, he was. When Kris died, Drakon wouldn't leave my side. He even tried to convince me that he should quit school to look after me. After three failed attempts, we settled on a deal that instead of quitting school, he could sleep in my room and show me funny videos to "cheer" me up even though I didn't understand half of the jokes on the videos. It was the thought that made me smile and chuckle along with Drakon.

"Oh." Drakon repeated and leaned on my lap and kicking his feet on the arm rest.

My fingers automatically combed through his long, silky hair and Drakon closed his eyes. I smiled and we sat in silence for a little longer. The sun was starting to set and I sighed.

"So how was school?" I asked, changing the subject.

Drakon opened one eye. "It was okay. I got invited to my friend's sleepover party."

I raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Really? When is it?"

"Today, but I told him it was too late to ask permission."

"Well, when did he ask you?"

"Tuesday." Drakon said and got off my lap.

"Why didn't you ask me? I would have given you permission to go."

Drakon shrugged his shoulders and I gave him a little push. "Oh, don't be all shy. You could go if you want to."

Drakon scrunched up his nose. "I don't know if I want to go."

I frowned a little and glanced at the clock. It was still early to go. "Well, make up your mind now, darling. It's still pretty early."

Drakon looked at the clock and I could see the gears in his head turning before he finally nodded. I smiled and we went up to his room to pack his pajamas, a thin blanket, and other things.

I went to his desk and ripped a piece of paper from his notebook and wrote down things. I folded the paper and slipped it in his bag.

"I wrote my phone number and the house number. Don't lose it." I warned though it was no need since Drakon knew them by heart, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Drakon groaned and blew his hair out of his face. I had tried to get him a haircut, but he insisted on growing it out though I could see how he was slowly getting annoyed of his hair blocking his vision and poking his ears.