10.

CHAPTER | TEN

"Here's my card. If anything comes up, call me."

I took the card from the young officer and nodded. "Thank you."

I got out of the car with Drakon and we quickly went inside the house. It felt cold and no longer like a home. I went straight to the kitchen; shivering and I rubbed the back of my neck as I turned the stove on.

"Mom, I'm tired." He said from the doorway, yawning and rubbing his eye.

"Go take a nap if you want. I'll be down here." I suggested and Drakon nodded, dragging his belongings as he yawned.

I put the card in one of drawers and sat up on the counter, kicking my feet. Watching the fire lick the bottom of the kettle, my mind started to wander.

Nothing was going right.

I never had anything like this happen while I lived in the city, and the city was where most crimes happened. I never had ghosts haunting my dreams. I never had a crazy homeless girl try to kill me. I never had weird dreams of being in someone else's body.

And I never doubted Javon.

He was always there, but now? I didn't know what to think. Was he with another woman? Did something bad happen that he didn't want me to know? Did he lose his job? What was going on with him?

Where was my husband who called and texted me every minute when I told him I was attacked by a ghost? Why did his behavior suddenly changed? Was it something I said or did?

I sighed and rubbed my templates. All this thinking was making my head pound.

I turned off the stove, losing my appetite for tea. I was about to turn off the lights when a dark figure caught my eye. I backed into the kitchen, spotting Tristian outside.

An indescribable feeling of relief washed over me and I ran to the back door, pushing it open. The hinges creaked and Tristian turned around.

"Hey." I greeted, walking towards him and stopping a few feet away.

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to come yesterday. I was caught up." He apologized, shifting his weight from leg to another.

I shook my head and I wanted to hug him so badly. I wanted to feel so sort of comfort. I wanted a sense I wasn't alone and in danger, but the thoughts flew out of my mind when my phone rang.

I jumped and took my phone out of my back pocket. Javon was calling me. I cleared my throat and forced a smile.

"I'm sorry. It'll be a minute."

Tristian nodded and strode off, touching the broken furniture every now and then.

"About time you remembered me." I answered angrily.

There was a lot of commotion on the other end until I heard a door shut and Javon cleared his throat. "I'm so sorry, babe. My phone died and I had this meeting—"

"For the whole night? Jesus, Javon. Is-Is there something you're not telling me?" I asked, feeling a lump in my throat.

"I think we should talk about this when I—"

I sighed loudly, cutting him off. "Forget it. I don't want to ruin your meeting." I added and hung up.

I wanted to throw my phone, but I managed to control my anger and breathed through my nose to calm myself down.

"Everything okay?" Tristian asked from behind the busted picnic table.

I cleared my throat and pointed behind me. "Do you want to come in? I brought new chocolate cookies and I think I have extra kisses."