22.

CHAPTER | TWENTY-TWO

The pebble flew out of sidewalk and onto the street where a car zoomed past.

"Darn." I mumbled to myself and looked for another to pebble to kick around. I would entertain myself by scrolling through my phone, but ever since a car nearly ran me over when I accidentally crossed the street without looking back in the city, I learned it was safer to look around my surroundings.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets and stopped at the corner. The cars drove past and one was around honking this early in the morning. I cast my disapproval scowl and almost crossed the street when I saw Mr. Stevens walk into his favorite diner.

Seeing Mr. Stevens dressed all in black caught my attention and I couldn't help myself. I jogged to cross the street, almost getting run over by a speeding car. I pushed the door open and a bell rang above my head to announce my arrival. I walked up to the young waiter behind the cash register and smiled.

"Hey, how's it going?" I greeted, blanking on his name.

He looked up from his textbook and grinned. "Hey, Varia! Do you want your usual to go or stay?"

"Oh, no. I'm looking for Mr. Stevens. Is he here? I swear I saw him coming." I said, looking around the empty tables.

"Oh, he's talking to Mick. Should be out in a bit." He replied, nudging towards the manager's office door.

I nodded and tapped the counter. "In that case, I'll have a hot chocolate."

"Right-o!" He chirped and started to prepare it. "So how are ya? I heard what happened a couple of nights ago. Must've been awful."

I played around with a straw and shrugged. "I'm alright. I just fell and hit my head."

The waiter hummed and poured the hot chocolate into a plain white mug. "You've been getting bad luck since the year started." He commented, pushing the mug towards me. "I mean, you separated with your husband, someone tried to murder you, your friend got killed, you got injured, like, how worse can this get?"

I would have been disturbed with him knowing what happened to me, but I lived in a small town. I had gotten used to being the gossip of the town since I was young.

I looked down at my drink, stirring it with a straw. He was right. Things were getting worst. I never thought of all the things that had happened and I never sat down to think why. Why me? Why was this all happening when my life was safe and perfect back in the city?

Ever since I moved here, things have been spiraling out of control. I would often wake up, thinking of all the things that could go wrong and sometimes, I proved myself right. Though I did suppose it could be worst. The only thing I'm grateful for was that nobody tried to kill or hurt my son.

"Well, life acts up whenever it wants to." I finally said, shrugging one shoulder and giving him a half-hearted smile. "What can you do, but lay down and accept it?"

The waiter brought up his own mug to his lips and hummed. "Yeah, you're right. Let's hope this new year will bring some good to you. Even though if its months away."

I chuckled and took a small sip. "I hope for my sake."

"So, listen," The waiter started and placed his palms on the edge of the counter, "Mick and I have been thinking of throwing a private 'school's out' here at the diner at the end of June, and well, given everything that has happened, we'll love for you to come with Drakon. Who knows, it could do some good for you."

I looked up and raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

The waiter nodded. "Yeah, of course, if you haven't made any plans already."