20.

CHAPTER | TWENTY

I couldn't breathe.

I couldn't move.

I couldn't see.

My shirt was soaked in sweat and blood. My legs and arms were tied with a strong rope and dug into my skin all the way to the bone, or at least that's how it felt.

I leaned back against the uneven stone wall, licking my lips with my dry tongue. I was so thirsty. I couldn't remember the last time I drank water. Was it yesterday? Two days ago? Five perhaps?

I gave up trying to remember and I closed my eyes, but it didn't make any difference. There was still darkness, so I opened my eyes and stared straight ahead instead.

What was the color of the stone? I looked up, hoping the moon would shed some light through small grid window, but the trees or bushes covered the moonlight.

I blinked slowly and closed my eyes again. Maybe I could go for another nap. I did felt tired. The longer I sat here, the more tired I became. Since I was thrown here, I guess I spent more than half the time here sleeping than I did awake.

I started to nod off when I heard distant laughter. I slowly lifted my head as the voices grew louder until I saw someone move the leaves aside and the moonlight shone down on me.

I flinched at the sudden light and turned my head to the side.

"Ha! Look at the little boy! Hiding like a dirty rat!" One of them commented, making everyone chuckle.

The sound of the rusty gate opened and a few leaves fell down to join me.

"Alright, boy." A familiar voice said with a sinister tone. "It's time."

I woke up with a sharp gasp and sat up, panting and gripping the white sheets. I took a few deep breaths, my chest rising up and down. I felt my hair stick all over my sweaty face and my body shook.

I blinked the blurriness away and when my vision cleared, I noticed I wasn't in my home. I instantly recognized was in a hospital when I looked around. There were machines and an annoying beeping noise. I looked to the side and from the view of the window; I could tell I wasn't even in town. I was in the city.

The city was all lit up and a full moon was half covered with clouds. The cars were zooming past yellow lights and halting on red lights. People crossed over, carrying bags and coffee cups.

I was about to throw the covers off of me when a nurse sighed as he came in the room. He grabbed some gloves and realized I was staring at him. He jumped slightly and put his arm over his chest.

"Oh! You're awake! Dear, you scared me." He chuckled and waved his hand in front of his face.

I parted my lips and realized how dry they felt. "Wh-Where am I?" I asked hoarsely.

The nurse came around and started checking the IV. "Well, you're in the hospital."

He went towards a table and grabbed a plastic cup. He poured water from a container and handed it to me. I smiled my thanks and wanted to flutter my eyes at the relief of the cold water going through my dry mouth and down my throat. I drank it until there was no more and the nurse took my empty cup. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and the nurse returned to checking the monitors.

"How did I get here? I was at home..." I trailed off, trying to remember what I was doing. Was I cooking? Was I on my way to visit Tristian? What was it?