9.

CHAPTER | NINE

"How about we switch over to math? All this reading of boring insects is making me sleepy." I stated, digging through Drakon's bag for his math workbook.

Drakon yawned, closing his book and pushing it to the side. "How about we take a nap? I'm tired, mom."

I finally found it and flipped through the pages. "You can a nap after we finish homework."

Drakon groaned and lifted his pencil. He watched for a while and read his post-it where he had written his homework. "It's page sixty-seven."

"I knew that." I said, turning to the page. Drakon sighed and started answering the questions. I rested my elbow on the table and leaned my head against my knuckles as I watched him, helping him out every so often.

"Hey, mom?"

"Yeah?"

"How come you suck at the multiplying?" Drakon asked when he noticed my hesitation.

"Hush. Blame it on grandma. She kept me home the day my teacher went over the times tables and I missed it. Mrs. Bubbles never went over it when I went to school the next day. That old wart hated me."

"Wait, wait. Mrs. Bubbles? Your teacher was Mrs. Bubbles?" Drakon asked, sleep disappearing from his eyes as he sat up.

I nodded, scrunching up my nose as I remembered my old teacher. "I know. My friends and I used to raise hell. On the last day of school, we all brought bubbles to school and blew when she walked through the door. You should've seen her face." I laughed softly at the memory.

Drakon scoffed. "How come when I do stuff like that I get grounded for a month yet I learned it from you?"

"Because unlike me, you get suspended whereas I only get dentation."

"It wasn't my fault!"

"You scared your teacher when she was going up the stairs with a hockey mask and she fell."

"She turned out okay."

"You almost got her into a coma, man."

"It's not my fault you taught me that."

"How did I teach you that?"

"You did that to dad and he fell just like Ms. Hayden."

"You know what? Let's go take that nap. I feel pretty tired, too." I said, giving up. Drakon smirked, knowing he won the argument.

I put everything away and we headed upstairs to my bedroom. I yawned as Drakon climbed up my bed, taking the spot Javon slept in. I laid in the bed next to him and Drakon snuggled to my side, arm draped over my stomach.

"Mom?"

"What, honey?" I said tiredly, rubbing my eyes.

"What's the greatest thing that ever happened to you?" He asked, voice just above a whisper as his eyes slowly drifted shut.

"The day... I got my first phone."

He nudged me and I chuckled, running my fingers through his hair. "I'm kidding. The day you were born."

"Really?"

"Of course. Not only did I become a mom, but I got myself an excellent partner-in-crime."

Drakon smiled. "I love you, mommy."

"I love you too, Robin."

-------

I panted as my arms pumped at my sides. My bare feet splashed at the wet dirt below me. I almost slipped, but I managed to catch myself on a tree. My vision was blurry, but I felt no rain and there was no fog.