Chapter 3

Brayden walked through the players' entrance of the Wells Fargo center. It was Wednesday night which meant they were playing the Washington Capitals. "G, I know I'm late. I just walked into the rink." Brayden rolled his eyes as Claude went off on him over the phone. "I'll be in the locker room in ten seconds." He hung up his phone and quickly turned the corner.

 "Whoa!"

Brayden's phone went flying out of his hand and onto the floor. He took one look at the blonde who was on the floor. "I am so sorry." He knelt down on the floor in front of her and picked up the papers she had dropped.

"Thanks," she said quietly as she took the papers from him. She picked up her phone that had fallen out of her pocket and slid across the floor.

"Are you okay?" he asked, helping her to her feet.

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm sorry. I probably should've been watching where I was going."

Brayden's eyes met hers for the first time. "No, it was my fault." He saw her eyes quickly move over his shoulder like she was looking at someone, but he ignored it. "I'm sorry, but do I know you?"

"I don't think so." She slid her phone into the pocket of her jeans. "I think someone's looking for you." She nodded in Claude's general direction.

"Brayden, let's go!" Claude yelled at him with his hands in the air.

Brayden looked back at Claude. "Yeah, hold on!" He yelled back. Brayden turned around to talk to the mystery girl, but she was gone.

"Brayden, we're getting on the ice in five minutes. Where the hell have you been?" Claude interrogated Brayden as they walked into the locker room.

"I'm sorry, I slept through my alarm."

"So on top of being late, you decide to stop and flirt with some girl?"

Brayden rolled his eyes again. "Can you relax? I'm here now and I'm ready to play." He was already pulling his under armour over his head after he had stripped off his dress shirt.

Claude shook his head. "You're lucky I got to you before Lavi did."

Claude walked to his stall to grab his gloves and helmet. All the guys were already standing and ready to go. Brayden was still lacing up skates when Luke tapped his shin guard.

"Slept through your alarm again?"

"Not really," Brayden pulled his jersey over his shoulder pads. "Kelsey tied me up on the phone."

Luke shook his head. "You couldn't tell her to just call you back?"

Brayden sighed. "We just worked things out."

"Well she shouldn't be interfering with you and your job." Luke gave his brother another tap on the leg before falling in line behind the rest of the guys who were already filing out of the locker room.

Brayden hopped to his feet and pulled the helmet onto his head. He picked up his gloves and stick and quickly made his way to the ice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Brayden sat at home later that night watching NHL network. He had talked to Kelsey earlier that day and things were going pretty well. For the most part, things were quiet around the apartment. Brayden stared at the TV with his feet propped up on the coffee table. The first time the silence in his apartment was broken was when his phone rang.

"Hey mom," Brayden greeted his mother after seeing "Mom" on his caller i.d.

 "Kendall?"

He took the phone away from his ear and looked at it. Shit. It wasn't his phone. "Who is this?"

"The real question is who are you and why do you have my daughter's phone?

The blonde. Without answering the question Brayden ended the call. He cleared the call screen and went to the home screen. There were three or four pages of apps. Her background was of a sunset over an open lake in the woods. "I can't believe this." He grumbled. Brayden clicked on the icon on the screen that said "photos." He viewed each picture on full screen. His mouth went dry when he saw the blonde he had run into at the rink. Her hair was now short, but in the picture he was looking at it was long and midway down her back. "Oh my God." Brayden kept scrolling through the pictures. He felt like he should stop because he was invading her privacy, but he couldn't. He kept flicking his finger across the screen until he stopped. Brayden felt his stomach churn. He was looking at a picture of Kendall crouching behind a baby. Her arms were wrapped around the toddler's stomach as she kissed his chubby cheeks. His stomach did a flip when he looked at the boy's face.

Feeling the bile rising in the back of his throat, he quickly ran to the kitchen sink and ran the water. His hands were braced on the counter as he took deep breaths to calm himself down. He watched the water as it hit the bottom of the sink before it went down the drain. Brayden collected himself and picked up the apartment phone. He dialed the only person who could possibly help him.

"Luke, you need to come over. Now."

"Are you okay?"

Brayden heard Luke's car keys jingle on the other end of the line. "I honestly don't know."

"Give me ten minutes."

Brayden hung up the phone just in time to empty the contents of his stomach into the kitchen sink.