Chapter 9

Kendall's day couldn't have gotten off to a worse start. Despite it being her day off, she was called into work last minute. With it being the weekend, she couldn't call Hayley because she was visiting her parents up in Bucks County for the weekend. On any other day of the week, Kendall would've been fine with taking Liam to work, but not today. Liam had developed a slight fever over the past few days, which left him cranky and very fussy.

"Brayden, what the hell is going on?" she questioned when she spotted Brayden outside Peter Laviolette's office.

"Kendall, hey," Brayden took one look at her and saw the slight circles under her eyes. She looked completely and utterly exhausted. "Are you okay?"

"Not at all," she sighed and shifted Liam to her other him. "What's this all about?"

"I think I have an idea." he sighed and shook his head before the door to Peter's office opened and the man himself stood in the doorway.

He looked at Brayden and Kendall and simply motioned for them to follow him into his office. Kendall wasn't in the mood for this and Liam was certainly on the same boat as her.

"Sorry to call you two in on such short notice." Paul Holmgren stood behind the desk as Peter joined him, neither one of them sitting.

"It's been brought to our attention about your current situation." Paul mainly looked at Kendall when he spoke. "Ms. Davis, are you aware of the contract you signed?"

"Yes, I am."

"So you're aware that in your contract, you agreed to not get involved with any of the players."

"Brayden and I aren't dating." she looked at Paul like he was crazy.

"We only see each other when she drops off or picks Liam up from my place." Brayden clarified.

Peter sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Brayden, I don't want your off-ice situation distracting you more than you already are. Your game on the ice hasn't been quite where we want it to be and that needs to change."

"I understand that, but Liam isn't a distraction to me. Believe it or not, he's the best thing to happen to me."

Peter and Paul exchanged looks before Paul looked at Liam who was sitting on Kendall's lap with the biggest pout on his face. "Ms. Davis, I know you came here with good intentions, but the last thing I need for you to be doing is distracting my players."

"I beg your pardon?" Kendall sputtered.

"I'm sorry, Kendall, but we have to let you go." Peter said with a heavy heart.

"She's done nothing wrong!" Brayden stood up in protest.

Kendall silently stood up from the chair she was currently sitting in and readjusted Liam on her hip. "It's fine, Brayden." she shrugged her shoulders. "Leave it." she simply stated before leaving the office without looking back at either of the men in the room.

"Whoa," Brayden ran out of the small office and caught Kendall's free arm. "What do you mean 'leave it'? You were just fired!"

"I was there, Brayden. You don't need to remind me." she said trying her best not to raise her voice. "Can we just talk about this some other time? You have a game tomorrow and I have to start getting mine and Liam's things together."

Brayden knew that Kendall was moving back to Saskatoon before he did. "Shit," he mumbled, remembering that Kelsey was flying in for a short weekend. He couldn't have Liam for the weekend and he couldn't talk to Kendall about the situation later because he had to pick Kelsey up from the airport.

"Brayden, seriously, Liam has a fever and I want to get him home and put him down for a nap."

"Yeah, I'm sorry." he apologized as he watched Kendall walk down the long corridor before she disappeared around the corner.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"Wait, what happened?" Jeska asked as Luke paced around the island in their apartment.

Brayden had stopped by Luke's apartment on his way home because he couldn't figure out who would tell Lavi, let alone Holmgren, about Liam. "The only people who know are you guys and the team."

"You don't think –"

Brayden's eyes met his older brother's. "I don't think the guys would tell. Do you?" Luke simply shrugged his shoulders in response.

"Who cares who told them? Kendall just lost her job!" Jeska loved Kendall. There were days when Brayden couldn't take Liam, so she would drop him off at Luke and Jeska's. Needless to say, the two became good friends.

"Babe, we're aware of that and we're working on it." Luke pulled Jeska into his side and kissed her forehead before he checked his watch. "If you have to pick Kelsey up from the airport, you better leave now." he said to Brayden.

Brayden also checked his watch. "Shit," he muttered before quickly saying "goodbye" and running out the door.

Jeska sighed. "I don't understand who would want to get Kendall fired."

"Me neither," Luke was at a loss for words. "There has to be someone else who knew and told Lavi about Liam."

"What are you doing?" Jeska asked as she watched Luke pull his phone out of his front pocket.

"I'm texting Kendall. Something just feels off."

To: Kendall

Brayden told me what happened earlier. Can you come by the apartment? I think Jeska wants to see you too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Kendall feverishly rubbed her eyes. It had been a long day and with Liam not feeling well, there was more stress on her than usual. As she took a seat on the small sofa in her living room, her phone buzzed in her hand.

From: Luke

Brayden told me what happened earlier. Can you come by the apartment? I think Jeska wants to see you too.

She sighed and typed back a quick response. Turning her eyes to Liam's room down the hall, she couldn't risk waking him up again. Kendall had finally gotten Liam to go to sleep and she couldn't go through that again.

To: Luke

I just put Liam to bed. You guys can stop by though.

Within seconds Luke sent her a reply stating that he and Jeska would be over soon. Kendall was surprised. Nearly twenty minutes later, there was a soft knock on the door.

"Hey," Jeska greeted her friend before pulling Kendall into a tight hug. "How are you holding up?"

"I've had better days." she shrugged as they all stepped further into the apartment.

"Brayden told us what happened earlier. What did Lavi say to you?" Luke inquired.

Kendall sighed. "I'm sure Brayden told you everything, but Holmgren said he didn't want me distracting his players. I guess he was referring to you too."

"Luke, Brayden, and I ruled out all the guys. Is there anyone else who knows about Liam?"

Kendall nodded. "There's Rebecca, but I doubt she'd tell anyone."

"There has to be someone else who knows about Liam." Luke braced his hands against the kitchen counter.

"There is one other person who knows." Kendall bit her bottom lip nervously. There's no way she could be responsible for this though. She mentally pondered as Jeska and Luke both gave her expectant looks.

"Who?" Luke and Jeska asked in unison.

"Kelsey,"