Chapter 10

"You know there's no coincidence, right? The day Kelsey flies into town, you lose your job?" Hayley was currently helping Kendall pack up the apartment. With the Flyers season pretty much done, Kendall was ready to fly back home and find another job elsewhere.

"I know," she conceded. "Kelsey is a piece of work."

"I just can't believe they fired you like that. It's not like you or Brayden are involved or anything."

Kendall simply shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know and I actually don't care. Kelsey has always been that way. I don't expect her to change much."

Hayley shook her head as she taped the flaps of the last box shut. "So you don't care that Liam is over at Brayden's right now most likely being held and watched by her?"

"If he knows what's good for him –"

Hayley held a hand up to stop Kendall mid thought. "Sorry, it's Sean."

Kendall watched as Hayley placed the phone to her ear just briefly before hanging up the phone again. "That was quick."

"Brayden wants you to pick up Liam."

Kendall's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. "I thought he wanted him for the weekend?"

"Well Liam apparently isn't taking to Kelsey as nicely as he thought."

"Okay," Kendall picked up her bag and grabbed her keys off of the kitchen counter. "Well, are you coming with me?"

"Of course,"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"It took you long enough." Sean grumbled as he opened the door for the two girls. "He's been crying like this since Kelsey tried holding him."

Kendall dropped her bag by the door and slid her keys into the front pocket of her jeans. "Sorry, about that." she apologized.

"Mommy!"

"I didn't know Liam learned a new word." Hayley said after hearing Liam's shrill plea.

Kendall brushed passed Sean and quickly walked down the hall to the nursery. Slowly opening the door, Kendall poked her head into the room where she saw Brayden desperately trying to console a hysterical Liam.

"I don't know what's wrong." Brayden said looking at her hoping she could help him.

"I left him with you for barely three hours. What happened?" she inquired, taking Liam from Brayden's arms.

"I picked Liam up after Kelsey got settled in and I hand him over to her and he just starts crying."

Kendall suppressed a laugh in the back of her throat. "Poor baby," she cooed as Liam's hands clutched onto the fabric of her t-shirt. "Where's the mean lady now?"

"Ha-ha," Brayden laughed sarcastically, brushing passed Kendall and walking toward the kitchen where Sean and Hayley were currently talking. "You know at least she's trying."

"Oh yeah, I'm sure she's trying really hard."

"What is with you and her anyway?"

"What do you mean?" Kendall asked, shifting Liam on her hip.

"I thought you two used to be friends."

Kendall scoffed. "What poor judgment I had."

"Kelsey has changed you know."

Kendall rolled her eyes. "Brayden, I'm honestly exhausted and I don't care to talk about how much Kelsey hasn't changed. So if you don't mind, I'm going to take Liam back to the apartment and let him get some sleep because he clearly hasn't gotten any here."

"Why are you uptight all of a sudden?"

"I'm not being uptight, I just – I'm not talking about this right now."

Hayley and Sean exchanged side glances at each other as they watched Brayden and Kendall stare each other down expectantly.

"I'll go grab your bag." Hayley said quietly before giving Sean a brief kiss and walking toward the door.

Brayden ran a hand over his light stubble. "Kendall, does leaving Liam with me while Kelsey's over bother you?"

"I told you that I didn't want her anywhere near him from the very beginning. The only reason I let you have him for the weekend was because I needed to pack up everything and I wanted to give you some time with him before we moved back home."

"I honestly don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry that having Kelsey around makes you this upset, but she's my girlfriend and I'm in this relationship for the long run."

Kendall scoffed. "You know what, Brayden? Come to think of it, you two are exactly the same person. You two deserve each other." Blinking back the angry tears that welled up in her eyes she gave Brayden a scathing look. "Don't bother calling or texting me. Once we get back to Canada, I don't want to see or hear from you ever again. Tell Kelsey I said 'hi.'" Kendall fished the keys from her pocket and walked toward the front door where Hayley stood waiting patiently for her.

"Are you okay?" Hayley mouthed as Kendall walked toward her.

"No, I just want to get home."

Kendall walked passed Hayley and out the door before any other questions could be asked. Giving the boys a simple shoulder shrug, Hayley adjusted the bag on her shoulder and followed her friend out of the apartment building.