Chapter 7

“I haven’t seen you this happy in a while.” Luke stated as he watched Brayden crawling on the floor, playing with Liam.

“I know,” Brayden sat back and watched as Liam wobbled towards Luke. The past four days he had spent with Liam have been amazing and Brayden wasn’t ready for Kendall to pick him up. “He’s amazing.”

Luke picked Liam up and sat him on his lap. “When is Kendall coming to pick him up?”

It was nearly six o’clock at night and Brayden was pretty sure Kendall would be by any minute to pick up Liam. “She hasn’t called, but I assume soon.” Just as he finished his statement, there was a soft knock at the door. He looked at Luke who remained sitting on the couch with Liam in his arms. “I’ll get it.” Brayden mumbled, hopping up off the floor and walking towards the door. He didn’t bother looking through the peep hole before opening the door. “Hey K – outs.” His eyes went wide when he saw Sean standing on the other side.

“Hey?” Sean gave Brayden a puzzled look. “Are you okay?”

Brayden coughed and looked over his shoulder at Luke. “Yeah, I’m fine. What are you doing here?”

“I just came to chill. The boys are really just starting to annoy me right now.” Sean ran a hand through his hair.

“Sorry to hear that man,” Brayden nervously moved aside to let him in and held his breath as he walked towards the living room. “Does that include Laurence drama?”

Sean scoffed. “Not anymore, we broke –” He stopped talking when he saw Liam sitting in Luke’s lap. “Up.” Sean turned to look at Brayden before looking back at Liam. “Dude,”

“Sean, this is Liam.” Brayden really didn’t know what else to say to Sean, so he decided to let it sink in.

Sean stared at Liam who gave him a big grin before giggling. “Since when do you have a kid?” He ran a hand through his hair. “Is Kelsey the mother?”

“No, Kelsey’s not the mother.” Brayden bent down and picked Liam up when he toddled away from Luke. “And I just found out about him about two weeks ago.”

“Holy crap.” Sean looked at Liam who was now in his father’s arms. He truly was a spitting image of Brayden in every way, shape, and form possible. “So he’s the reason why you’ve basically blown all of us off the past week.”

“Sorry about that.” Brayden shrugged his shoulders. He had blown the guys off every time they called or texted him about going out over the past five days. “I’ve been busy.” Liam gave Sean a toothless grin which made Sean smile a little.

“How old is he?” Sean watched as Liam rested his head in the crook of Brayden’s neck, his little hands balling into fists as they gripped onto the fabric of Brayden’s shirt.

“Eighteen months,” Brayden felt Liam’s hands relax their grip on his shirt and he knew that Liam was asleep. Sean looked like he wanted to say something, but there was another knock at the door. “Did you invite any of the guys over?”

Sean shook his head and said, “No,” before walking over to answer the door for Brayden who currently had his hands full.

“You don’t have to get it.” Brayden stopped when he saw the look on Sean’s face.

“Uh – hi, is Brayden here?”

Brayden didn’t recognize the voice, but he knew that it didn’t belong to Kendall. Now what? He thought to himself as he walked towards the door with Liam. He was surprised to see a beautiful brunette standing at his door. Her long hair was down and straight, her eyes were a dark brown, and she had a warm smile on her face. “Can I help you?”

She smiled nervously and nodded. “I don’t know if Kendall told you,” the girl looked between Sean and Brayden as she spoke. “But she got called into work last minute and she sent me to pick Liam up.”

“Oh,” Brayden moved aside to let her into the apartment. Sean stood in the same spot, but he turned to watch the girl walk by him. “Let me just call her real quick. What’s your name?”

“Hayley,” she stood in the middle of the apartment as Brayden walked into the other room so he could call Kendall. Hayley slowly slid her hands into her back pockets as she patiently waited for Brayden to come back into the room.

“Sorry,” Brayden apologized, coming back into the room with Liam’s bag in his hand. Liam was carefully strapped into his carrier already fast asleep. “I just wanted to call her and make sure everything was okay.”

Hayley nodded. “No, it’s fine! I would’ve done the same thing if I were you.” She smiled and took the bag from Brayden’s hand before picking the carrier up off the floor. “I’m sorry for causing all this confusion.” She apologized as Brayden walked her toward the door.

“No, it’s fine.” He quickly looked outside to see that it was dark out. “Hey, do you need me to walk you to your car?”

She shook her head. “That’s fine. I think I’ll be okay. Besides, I don’t want to be an inconvenience to you.”

“I’ll walk you to your car.” Sean blurted out, taking both Brayden and Hayley by surprise. “I was just heading out anyway.

“You were?” Brayden subtly raised an eyebrow at his teammate who only nodded.

“Yeah, it’s no problem.” Sean insisted, looking back at Hayley.

“If you’re on your way out than that would be awesome.” She smiled and Sean nearly felt his stomach do a flip.

“I’ll see you tomorrow morning.” Sean nodded to Luke and Brayden before walking out of the apartment with Hayley and Liam.

Brayden closed the door behind Sean and looked at Luke who looked just as clueless as to what just happened. “He works fast.” He concluded before sitting back down on the couch and changing the channel on the TV.

“You’re telling me.” Luke laughed and propped his feet up on the coffee table.