.:9:.

With less stress on my shoulders, the next school day flew by very quickly. That is, until the end of lunch, right before period five was supposed to start. As I was picking up some necessary things from my locker, my ears perked at the sounds of commotion coming from the hallway just around the corner and, just like always, my curiosity got the best of me and I followed the noises.

With long strides, I stepped into the corridor just to witness a large group of people (maybe 30 or 40) standing in a semi-circle, supposedly surrounding someone and cheering on. My eyebrows knitted together and I moved forward, pushing my way through the crowd to see what was going on. However, as I finally got a good view of the situation, my eyes nearly bulged out of my head.

In the middle stood two people. Vic and some boy I did not recognise. He was tall and had spiky brown hair. By now, it was obvious to me that they had gotten into a fight and another pretty obvious thing was that Vic was losing. He managed to throw in a few punches, but the other guy was a lot larger than him and, although Vic was certainly strong, he was a lot stronger. Within a few seconds, Vic was on the floor, getting repeatedly kicked in the stomach.

I was panicking. I did not want Vic to get hurt! He had ordered me to act like usual at school, as if we barely knew each other, but I could not just ignore and leave him here to get beaten up. That would make both of us upset, so I knew I had to act in some way. Of course, I could not do much considering I was even weaker than him, but I could be a distraction until a teacher arrived.

Quickly making my extremely reckless decision, I stepped into the middle of the semi-circle, earning many gasps from the people around who were only there for an interesting story to tell their friends that were not lucky enough to be present. Without thinking, even though I probably should have, I confidently paraded forward and placed my palms on the back of the boy (whose name I assumed was Jimmy, as that was what the crowd chanted) then pushed him off of Vic.

Instantly, everyone's eyes snapped to me and they all gazed in shock. All except Vic, who looked more infuriated than anything. I stared down at him too and we locked eyes. It was like he was trying to silently tell me something, which I was not getting. But he was not happy with me at all.

Before I knew what was happening, I gasped upon feeling something hard roughly connect with my thigh. It knocked me to the side, making me stumble, but I did not fall. I looked to the side to see Jimmy with a smirk on his face. He did not! Someone better hold me before I slaughter this little shit.

But no one had to because finally a figure with more authority than us decided to bless us with their much wanted presence. And it was just my luck that it was Mr Joseph, too. As soon as he showed up, all of the surrounding students gravitated away like magnets repelling each other. And now it was only us four. Mr Joseph gave us a disapproving look, seeing as we had frozen in place upon realising what had happened. We stood stiffly like we had not just been involved in a fight.

"All of you," he barked, "to the principal's office. Now."

A few seconds later a couple of other teachers appeared to escort us to the location. The way there was silent except for students, who were still at their lockers, giving us all of their attention. I simply rolled my eyes. This was so stupid! I did absolutely nothing wrong. I would probably have to explain that to the principal though and hope he would be smart enough to believe me.

When we finally arrived outside of the office, apparently forgetting all about our period five lessons, Mr Joseph stepped inside after a knock. I sighed deeply and my eyes travelled to Vic again, but he was not looking at me. Instead, he was staring down at the ground like he was avoiding eye contact.

The two other teachers instructed us to sit in the chairs outside of the office and wait. Jimmy sat as far away as possible, and the teachers followed him because they obviously knew that he was to blame here, leaving Vic and I a safe distance away to talk. We both sat down and, as soon as we did so, Vic turned to me.