The Oldest Thing You Know

It might sound like a stereotypical pagan thing to be enamored with nature, but the truth is I feel more of a connection with trees than Carrie does. There are so few things on this planet that last so long. And as one of the creatures that does, I guess you could say the trees and I are kindred spirits.

Today, Earth Day Network's theme is #Trees4Earth. Their plan is to plant 7.8 million trees by the 50th anniversary of Earth Day in 2020. They say that's one tree for every person-- human rather. And I wish them luck, because trees simply are important. If you aren't sure why, I suggest enrolling in the environmental studies class at our school. I've heard... decent things about the professor. Or, you know, google it.

That's not what this post is about however, this post is about old things. The oldest thing that anyone has touched is the Earth itself. The oldest known tree first sprouted 9,550 years ago. Karl Brodowsky took a photo of this Swedish tree that is likely the oldest living thing on the planet.

 Karl Brodowsky took a photo of this Swedish tree that is likely the oldest living thing on the planet

Grand things have been built and have crumbled all while this tree has been continuous.

So let's plant more. Let's leave a bunch behind that someday someone else can look at and remember the history of things. Remember our today, remember our now.

Rocks however, are even older. It's actually how we date the Earth. An average rock is 100 million years old. We know this because of decay. Which makes me feel forever young, far more than vampirism ever does anymore.

This rock is called the Acasta Gneiss and is around 3.8 billion years old.

8 billion years old

Hey, old timer. (Photo taken by Pedroalexandrade)

Unless the Earth is destroyed, no creatures will ever outlive it. Even the beings I know that live extraordinarily long lives will not outlive most rocks. Yet, creatures that move and breathe, have such an unfathomable ability to shape ancient things.

And so it begins. Today. Right here and right now. Earth Day is more than just a single day — April 22, 2016. This Earth Day and beyond, let's make big stuff happen. Let's start now. And let's not stop.

  Amazing, amazing art by Becka Liz! Thank you!!